1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Runtime error when right-clicking a folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DDGamer83, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDGamer83

DDGamer83 Thread Starter

Hello. This problem has been eating away for a long time this year, I have no idea what is causing it. I haven't had this problem with my previous computer. I haven't had this problem in this computer either, until it actually happened like a couple of months ago or so. I simply didn't pay much attention to it until now, when I really wanted to change the icons for my folders.

Basically, when I go to one of my videos folder, I right-click one of the folders wanting to check out its properties, but what happens instead is I get a popup that says the following:

• Runtime Error!
    • Program: C\Windows\Explorer.exe
    • This application has requested a Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    • Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Below's a GIF to demonstrate the problem visually:

https://gyazo.com/2090b80ecff50c93de174fa57def14dd

As you can see, right after that happens, I click "OK" and the Explorer quits all the way, and brings me back to the desktop.

I haven't the faintest idea why this is happening. The folder is in a 1 TB external hard drive. And the hard drive works completely fine.

I checked again to see if anymore folders are affected, and there are indeed multiple folders that give me the same problem, although it's just those 4 folders exclusively affected by this problem.

Rebooting the PC didn't work. And just today, I downloaded a Redistributable Package for Visual C++ 2017 to see if the problem will go away, but that didn't work either.

The problem occurred (still occurs) long before the Falls Creators Update (OS Version 1709) released. And that version of the OS was giving my laptop a lot of problems, so I had to revert back to the previous version of the OS to continue using the laptop without any major hiccups.

I posted this problem on Reddit to see if I could find any solutions, but no replies so far.

Laptop specs:

• Windows 10 Home Version 1703

• Core i7-5500U @ 2.40GHz

• AMD Radeon R9 M375 2 GB VRAM

• 8 GB RAM

2. OtherOnesWereInUse

OtherOnesWereInUse

reinstall Microsoft visual c++
    reinstall graphics drivers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200353