runtime error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gisèle

I am trying to open a file I`ve downloaded from the internet but I get a runtime error 429 saying Active X component can`t create object. What does this mean? I click Ok and the file opens but nothing works on it. (It has worked for others)

Thanks

Gisèle

It is a zip file & I`ve opened it with Winzip. What is Windows OS? I have Windows ME.

So, the error occurs as soon as you open the actual zip file in Winzip?
Or does it occur when you try to extract the files?
Or does it occur when you try to run the program inside the zip?
And if so, are you trying to run the EXE file in the zip whilst it's still zipped up? Or have you extracted all the files in the zip, and then the error occurs when you try to run the decompressed program?

eek, I hope I explained all that clearly enough ?!

What I think is happening, is that you are trying to run the program (whether from within the zip, or after you've extracted it) but this program requires some extra Visual Basic Runtime files that aren't installed on your system.

You should contact the author of the program to find out what VB files are required for it to run.

It's possible that it needs older Visual Basic 3 or 4 runtime files, and they aren't installed on WinME (they only come with older Win9x), or maybe they require newer Visual Basic 6 and this isn't installed?

VB4, 5, and 6 runtimes are available here:
http://www.webattack.com/help/missingfiles.html

But as I said, contact either the program author or the site where you downloaded the zip file and find out exactly which extra files are required before trying to install any of those VB installers.

By the way, I've fixed that mskb search url in my first post.

Apparently, this error message can also occur if the scrrun.dll file (Microsoft Script Runtime Library) in the Windows\System folder is either damaged, missing, or an incompatible version.

If it's an incompatible version, then this could be because the program you are trying to run was designed for older Win9x, and therefore the author will need to update his program to make it compatible with newer OS'es (oh, and OS = Operating System, of which yours is WinME)

I also recommend you run a full system virus scan.
Make sure your Anti-Virus software is up to date first.

And, I suppose that there's always the chance that this is simply a case of a bad download. This can happen. So maybe delete the file you downloaded and try to download it again.

Basically, I'm not 100% sure about this, so if anyone else here has any further suggestions . . .

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online