1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Runtime Error!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rocket8411, Nov 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rocket8411

Rocket8411 Thread Starter

When I exit out of an explorer window or and interent explorer window I get this error (not all of the time though) or when I have two windows open (My computer or IE)
    I have IE 6

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe
    R6025
    -pure virtual function call

Some of the other symptoms I have are my internet explorer windows slow down my typing and my mouse when I move over the window or the window is on top. The only option I have when I get this error is to click ok which keeps the programs I have open on the screen but the icons on my desktop and the windows bottom bar goes away. I can't even Ctrl Alt delete. I have ran a virus scan with Norton's latest virus definitions, I am running 98 SE. I have installed Internet Explorer 6. I have a 1.4 Ghz Athlon and 256mb DDR Ram PC 2100. Like even right now my typing is delayed. Thanks for any help I really need it.

2. brianF

brianF

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. Rocket8411

Here are some more specifics of the problem. After reading other posts I relized that it does seem after opening 2 or 3 explorer or Internet explorer windows it seems like the cpu usage is way up. My mouse and typing significantly slow down. After I get the error if I don't click ok everything runs fine if I close the windows. I did recently do a windows critical update but I can't remember if it was after the problem to try to fix it or before. It really does'nt matter what programs I have open it does it with open programs and just when nothing is open. I really hope we can locate this problem I have a feeling microsoft made a big programming error in thier last update.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you remember which update you installed?

I don't know whether this will help or confuse more, but if you run the System File Checker (start>run>sfc), and scan for altered files, (don't restore anything!), look at the settings>log file and see if any file changes took place after you installed IE6 but before you began having the problem.

You may have to do a Find Files and right click and select "properties" to verify the "created" date of any suspect changes.

6. Rocket8411

It said setupx.dll was corrupted it's in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. That was the only file that it said was altered. I did'nt see anything about a date of when It was altered like you were saying. Is setupx.dll have anything to do with direct X?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm amazed that was the only altered file unless you ran sfc and updated the verification table following your updates.

But no, setupx.dll "usually" isn't a problem and is just one of those files that is altered sometimes during updates or new installs. It doesn't affect directx, and wouldn't be causing the present difficulties.

sfc doesn't actually tell you when they were created or altered. You have to do a Find Files, and right click, then select "properties" and see when they were "created"

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

SFC often reports that file as corrupt.

I have IE6 as well. I used to have many problems when I would close out several IE Windows. I keep a lot of them open. The error Reporting tool was constantly shutting me down. Often, when I pressed details it would freeze the computer. Too, I found (and this was true for IE 5.5 too) that if I chose not to report, it ignored that and reported anyway. I got too tired of this and removed the Error Reporting tool. I wanted to be able to read the details of an error message myself.

I now have almost no crashes. I was having many on any given day. Always when I closed several IE windows. A few times I experienced slowed typing. I attributed that to low resources. Closing a few windows would bring that back.

Do you have the Error Reporting tool installed? I go back and forth between several versions of IE as an experiment. I find it runs better without it.

GO to control Panel>Add Remove Programs and have a look. It will be on the list ig you do have it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice