1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rural Internet Solutions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KMURP92, Dec 5, 2019.

1. KMURP92

KMURP92 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I have recently moved and now live in a very rural area, quite a ways off of the main road, and have had no luck finding an internet service that will reach this far. My wife and I have been able to get by with using the hotspots on our cellphones, but it’s gotten to the point that they won’t suffice any longer. We’re both in college online, and since no tv service providers come out this far either, any shows or movies we want to watch also have to be online. We also play online video games occasionally, so having an internet connection is an obvious must for that as well.

I’ve looked into different satellite internet providers like HughesNet and Viasat, but they're outrageously expensive, and seem to have a pretty low data limit before throttling down and being super slow. I’ve also looked into hotspots through some of the local cell service providers, but they all have pretty low data limits as well.

I’m not sure if what I’m looking for is even a possible option for us, but I’m really looking for any kind of device or service that we can get that would provide us with reliable internet at a decent speed, something that has an unlimited data plan so that we don't get cut off or throttled down to nothing, and something that’s relatively affordable. I know it’s probably going to be more expensive than it would be in a readily serviceable area, but I still can’t afford to spend several hundred dollars a month for something that can be completely used up and throttled down before half a month has gone by.

Please give me any advice or suggestions that you may have to help me find the internet service I’m looking for. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Unfortunately satellite may be the only option. Does services like AT&T or CenturyLink have DSL in your area?

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice