1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RUSE & Anno not working, probably due to driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nsvv, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsvv

nsvv Thread Starter

Essentially, my problem is that in some of my games - Anno 1404 & RUSE to be exact ( both of which are incidentally published by ubisoft, not sure if this is a coincidence) - the display keeps on crashing. My computer then alerts me that the display driver (I'll publish precise details tomorrow) has crashed and restarted successfully. In the case of Anno 1404, this error caused the game to go to a black screen. The actual game continued to run, but the display stopped working. I eventually manages to solve this problem by lowering the graphics settings. However, yesterday, I bought RUSE, and to my dismay, a similar issue occurred. Unlike Anno, in RUSE, the screen turned black, but after c. 5-15s it returned back to the game. The error message was the same as with Anno. This does, however, render the game unplayable as the gameplay is disrupted every minute or so. I tried lowering the graphics settings, but this didn't have any effect. This did not surprise me, as unlike Anno, the game was running perfectly smoothly on even the highest graphic settings, except of course when it crashed. The solution to this problem seems to be obvious- update the graphics driver. My graphics card is an nVidia geforce 9600GT, but I have not upgraded the driver since I purchased it. It is now several versions out of date. This is because, every attempt I have made to update the driver results in my computer not booting correctly, forcing me to use safe mode to access system restore to reverse the update. Sorry for the long explanation, but the problem is quite complex. I am very happy to provide extra details, but will only be able to do so tomorrow. If anybody could help me make RUSE work properly, whether this involves somehow installing this driver or not, it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

2. nsvv

nsvv Thread Starter

Sorry! I completely forgot to post my system specs. It's a custom-built machine, by the way.
    -4GB DDR2 RAM
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (@3.16gHz)
    -320GB HDD (not sure which make)
    -nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512mb
    -Not 100% of the wattage of the PSU, but I think it was c. 800W. Don't know the Brand

I'm running Windows Vista home premium 32bit. The display driver for the graphics card is v.7.15.11.7516 (apparently). I would like to correct what I said previously; as far as I can remember, when I installed the new graphics driver, the computer did boot, but my home resolution (1440x900) did not turn up. It was, however, a while ago. I'm going to do it again now so that I can supply better details.
    Thanks for the reply, anyway!

3. nsvv

nsvv Thread Starter

Problem solved- I uninstalled the previous video driver before installing the new one. No problems now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice