1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rw-cd Drive Won't Show Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gidget694u, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gidget694u

gidget694u Thread Starter

I have Windows XP, and have a rewritable drive. My main CD rom shows up in my computer, but will not take a cd. I also have a rewritable, and it isn't showing up, nor will it take a cd. Is there anyway easy I can fix this? If so, can someone please explain to me what I have to do? I would surely appreciate it. I've been putting it off and putting it off, as have another computer I use, but this particular one, can only use the streets program I have, and need usage of it. Thanks ahead for any help you might have for me.

2. KEVCARR

KEVCARR

GO TO ADD NEW HARDWARE UNDER MY COMPUTER AND AUTO SEARCH FOR IT

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Check the jumpers and the connections.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

5. gidget694u

Tried those. Could it be possible that I have to go in and check which drive I want to open first and so forth? If so, can anyonetell me how I get there again. I am so forgetful these days.

6. ~Candy~

Did this just start one day? Did they ever work properly? Can you access the bios setup to be sure the one that is missing completely from windows appears there?

7. gidget694u

They worked properly until I installed Nero software, intead of the HP software that I did have at one time. I cannot use either drive, but the one that isn't showing is the rewriteable drive. For a while I was just using that, as didn't feel like messing around, but now, that isn't showing up. How, do I get into the bios to make sure it is in there? I forget. Thanks, for you help.

8. ~Candy~

Upon startup, it's usually the DEL, F 1, F 2 or compaq F 10 to access the bios setup.

9. Firah

Firah

Deleting the famous upper filter/lower filter in registry solves the problem when Easy CD Creator has been removed. Maybe it will apply when HP software is removed too...

Instructions HERE

10. gidget694u

Thanks Firah, I'm going to try going into the bios now. I went and did what instructions said, as Easy CD Creator is what I had installed. When restarted, said, it recognized both drives, but then had me restart again. At that time when I restarted, just came up with the one drive, and still unuseable. I'm getting a bit frustrated now, but not giving up. Anymore tips some one has, send them my way if you would. Thanks!

11. gidget694u

I just went into the bios and it has it starting up from Cd rom, but only has one listed, not two of them. Does this mean I have to reinstall the software? Is that why it isn't showing up? Does anyone know?

12. Firah

Firah

No, the software only gives the drive it's burning capability. First it has to be recognized in the BIOS.

How are the drives hooked-up to the ribbon cables? eg:

IDE 1 = HDD

IDE 2 = CD-RW master: CD-ROM slave?

If so, disconnect the CD-ROM, and attach the CD-RW as slave to the HDD.

Change the ribbon cable also.

What I'm getting at, is if the cable isn't bad, then the controller may be.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice