Solved RX 480 8GB with 400W PSU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dkapiate

System :
Intel Core i5-6400 @ 2.7GHz (3.3GHz Turbo)
8GB of DDR3 (Single-Channel)
AMD Radeon RX 480 XFX 8GB Black Edition
Acer Mini-ITX motherboard

PSU specs :
400W
+3.3V = 28A
+5V = 30V
+12V1 = 18A
+12V2 = 18A

Will this be enough power for my system?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What make and model power supply is it ?

Dkapiate

What make and model power supply is it ?
It is a Sparkle Power Int'l LTD
Model no. ATX-400PN

This one = https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103013

I also have a 350W SeaSonic SS-350ET

Specs :
+3.3V = 20A
+5V = 20A
+12V1 = 17A
+12V2 = 17A

This is the 350W = https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...nRi1kkuQYrABWYFb-UxoCF6IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know the 400W doesnt have an 80+ rating, but all of its specs seem to be better than the 350W, so I opt for the 400W here.

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The 400W PSU could be enough but I would consider getting a higher rated one if you will be using the system for high intensity gaming etc.

crjdriver

IMO you will never be happy nor will you get good performance using an acer motherboard. Acer products are low end ie cheap and attempting to install a gaming type video card in one is analogous to installing a performance cam in an econobox car. It will work however it will never work well. I assume you are installing this card to run games. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than simply installing a video card. A well designed gaming system has a performance motherboard with heavy duty VRs, extra chipset cooling, steel slots for the video card, a case with good airflow, a pw supply that is up to the task of running a gaming system.

IMO you need a better pw supply. See this quote from the support page for that video card;
Requirements
External Power - 8-pins : 1

Minimum Power Supply Requirement : 500 watt

XFX Recommended Power Supply : XFX 550W PSU
As you can see, you need a minimum of 500W.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online