1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Ryzen 7 overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Achaser, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Achaser

Achaser Thread Starter

So recently my run 1700x has started overheating and thermal throttling. At idle it sits at like 65c, and under simple load like league of legends, it wants to go up to like 84c. I've got a 240mm AIO cooling it. I've taken the cpu out and swapped it with a buddy of mines same rules 1700x and it still does the same thing, I've got the correct amount of thermal paste applied, the pump and fans on my AIO are working properly, and I've dusted the whole PC. Sometimes even at idle the temps will rise near 80c. My fans and pump are even set in the bios to run at full speed and this still happens. Vcore is set to 1.3v, bios has been reset, fresh OS install. Temps were checked on multiple programs. Please help.

PC specs are
    Ryzen 7 1700x
    Asus strix r9 390x
    16gb trident z
    Aorus gaming k5 x370

2. lynx1021

lynx1021

Sounds like your pump is bad or you have lost your liquid fill. Personally I don't like liquid fill cooling because it complicates things, you cant see what it is doing or when your pump craps out, all you have are high temps to let you know that something is wrong. Get a Mugen https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0004-00075

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is pretty obvious that your liquid cooler has failed. Either replace the system OR go with a decent heatsink fan. If you are not going to overclock, then there is no reason for liquid cooling. I have a 1700X [overclocked to 4.0gig] using a corsair H115 pro liquid cooler. Runs @28C under normal load and will get to 50C or so when doing a stress test.
    Again if you are not overclocking, there is no need for liquid cooling. On air cooled systems, I use and recommend the coolermaster 212 type coolers. About the best "bang for the buck" you will find.

4. Achaser

Achaser Thread Starter

As far as I can tell, pump Is running and at the proper flow rate, and I personally topped off the liquid in the cooler. The only component I haven't tried swapping yet is the motherboard and the cooler though

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

I was going to suggest a CM 212 but Newegg doesn't show support for AM4 on the 212's. What is your model and brand of liquid cooler?

6. Achaser

Achaser Thread Starter

There's a Microcenter is relatively close to my house so I'm probably just gonna drop by there and pickup a cooler of some kind that is am4 compatible. Their website says that the 212 black edition supports am4. It also happens to go better with my build

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The older ones need a bracket that coolermaster will ship to you. The bracket is free however they charge $7 for shipping. The newer ones come with the bracket to support am4.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I used to use a 212 on my ryzen system and it worked fine at stock speeds or a slight overclock. With the 212, I could not get above 3.7~3.8 without overheating. With the corsair liquid cooler, 4.0gig is no problem.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

That is a good choice, the cooler master website says all the 212's support AM4, I have a early model 212 evo on my intel 775 but the newer evos don't show 775's. Anyway the 212 black has the better mounting system, the older 212 evos were a PIA to mount.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Be sure and clean the processor with 91% or 99% alcohol prior to applying the new compound. The thermal compound that coolermaster ships with their products is thicker and more tacky than arctic silver. I use a finger inside a plastic bag to spread the compound. Do not use too much compound; it will act as an insulator.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

Cary Holzman uses a nitrile glove to spread the compound. Coffee filters with 91%-99% alcohol can be used to clean also.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use the coffee filters as well to do the cleaning. They work great. I looked at the coolermaster support page for that cooler. It seems that it uses the same basic mounting as older ones; you still need to pull the motherboard OR have a case with a tray cutout.
    The first bracket that coolermaster shipped for the older 212s was really nice. It used the existing mount and could be installed in a min or two. The one difference I saw was the fan mounting. The ones I have used have two plastic tabs to mount the fan to the cooler. This one uses a spring clip. The plastic ones tend to break after R&Ring them a few times.....

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is the first bracket however this one is not used or shipped by CM any longer.

Attached Files:

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

The one I have for the 775 has the X thing that mounts in the middle, I felt like I needed four hands to line it up

15. lynx1021

lynx1021

The one I have for the 775 has the X thing that mounts in the middle, I felt like I needed four hands to line it up. Sorry Multiple posts , having server issues.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice