Ryzen 9 multiple problems relating to lag and jerkiness

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

voltan

My new Rizen 9 x3900 build has turned out to be the worst build (of 7 or 8) ever. The problems are probably related, but despite much work, lots of web searching, and trying everything I could think of, the new computer remains unimpressive. I have apparently wasted a lot of money. If anyone has suggestions of something else to try, please let me know.

The build:

Case Fractal Design case ___ The case is R5

CPU Ryzen 9 3900x

SSD SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB

PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus Gold, fully modular

Mobo MSI MEG x570 Ace

Graphics Radon RX550P48/550 Series {also tried NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 and an older 2GB card}

SATA card 4 SATA6 ports

Problems:
  1. At startup Windows 10 loads, but shows the lock screen for 0.5 sec, then shuts down.

2. If it starts, I get this error: 0x80004005

3. There is serious keyboard lag. Display stops, then produces 6-8 letters at once.

4. Screen jerks badly when playing very simple games (bouncing ball, or falling blocks).

5. Very erratic behavior (jerking) with VirtualBox and VMWare Player.
Temperatures are low. Both sides have been off of the case since the build was started.

Windows was a full install, not moved with programs. It is installed on the M.2 SSD.

Tried a second power supply.

Did a flash update of the BIOS.

Called MSI tech support and got no help.

Tried three graphic cards and had the same problems.

Updated drivers for all graphics cards.

Looked for fixes for each problem on the web. Tried everything suggested.

Tried disabling Ethernet and enabling Wi-Fi. Presently using Ethernet only.

Learned to start by rapid pressing of Enter key until lock screen appears. {This should not be necessary.}

Tried using the DISM commands.

Tried a different keyboard. Both keyboards are wired via USB.

Tried three different mice.

Scanned with Windows Defender, Bitdefender, Malware Bytes, and Panda Online.

Changed from Windows Defender to Bitdefender as primary anti-virus app.

crjdriver

Other than a msi board, looks like a good build. I am NOT a fan of msi; IMO they [msi] is at best a mid-level mfg. Not up to the quality or reliability of a high end asus, asrock, or gigabyte board.
You posted that temps are cool. What exact monitoring program did you use to ascertain this info? MSI does have purpose designed monitoring software available on their site; called dragon center. If you are not using that to monitor temps and voltages, do so.

If it were me, I would RMA the motherboard and go with a different mfg ie asus or asrock. Currently I use an asrock fatal1ty X470 board with a ryzen 2700X overclocked to 4.4gig; absolutely bullet proof.

voltan

I tried two ASRock Taichi motherboards. Neither would POST. They started for 20 seconds, then shut down, then restarted and repeated. I had to try two Ryzen 9s as well because the failure to start could have been with the CPU. I tried two PSUs. Then I bought the MSI and it at least ran. I have checked temps with Core CPU and Open Hardware Monitor. I was unable to download dragon center. My highest temp is the GPU at 54C. All other temps are lower. Today I put the sides on the case before measuring the temps. Is it your opinion that the MSI is causing all of the problems? Needless to say, I am reluctant to have to unbuild and return yet another component. The Windows diagnostic checks show nothing wrong. I fear that I have totally wasted a wad of money and a lot of time.

crjdriver

I did two builds with asrock taichi boards and both worked flawlessly. Were these taichi boards you used X570, X470 or X370?

Last edited:

voltan

Both Taichi boards were x570. Their tech support guy had no suggestions, other than to return the boards. ASRock did not have any BIOS updates for their board. One reason I didn't buy another high end ASUS board was the lack of competent tech support when I built my Skylake i7 computer. They were polite, but appeared to have never seen a motherboard and had no idea what they looked like. I have built several Gigabyte computers, but those simply worked, so I didn't have any contact with their tech support. This time I looked hard for a Gigabyte but couldn't find what I wanted.
I didn't add it to my list of problems, but both Virtual Box and VMWare player were running with difficulty the last time I checked.

crjdriver

I do not know what to tell you. I have had great luck with both asus and asrock although I have never had to contact support.
Gigabyte is a fine mfg. If you go with a gigabyte X570 board, that should not be a problem. There are 12 different gigabyte X570 boards listed on newegg. I am sure you can find one that will do what you want.

I built one ryzen system using a gigabyte board and it worked fine so I am sure you can find one that will work for you.

crjdriver

I will say the number of bad motherboards is unheard of; out of all of the systems I have built [over 500] I had one bad motherboard. Even that one, I am not really sure if the board was bad when it left the factory since the box was damaged/dinged up in shipping. In any case, that was the only one out of over 500.

voltan

The two ASRock motherboards I tried were both new models and had not been updated (BIOS) since they were released. The Ryzen 9 was also new. I was disappointed, but not shocked when two motherboards and two Ryzen 9's all behaved identically. There was an obvious incompatibility that had not been identified and resolved. Given that the MSI worked immediately (with problems), my guess is that the ASRock boards had a built-in problem. I was eager to build a Ryzen 9 based computer because it seemed to offer a leap forward in power and speed. I acted too soon. At this point, I may have to discard the entire computer and simply be happy with my ASUS/Skylake i7.

crjdriver

The X570 taichi supports the 3900 from bios 2.10 onward. Since this board has bios flashback, it is a very simple matter to flash the bios without having the system boot. The bios that supports that cpu was released on 15 sept of this year so it has been available for more than 3 months. My guess [however only a guess] is that after doing the bios flashback, you would not have had any problems.

You are correct in that ryzen has incredible performance. I have two personal systems; ryzen 2700X [overclocked to 4.4gig] and an older intel 7600K [overclocked to 4.5gig]
There is no comparison between the two. On any multicore benchmark, the ryzen system literally blows the intel out of the water. Doubling the cinebench cpu score. On realbench the ryzen system out scores the intel by approx 35~40%

Last edited:

voltan

When I bought the ASRock, there was no BIOS update on their web site and their tech support guy said there was none available anywhere, other than the version I had. I fully expect that the two boards were wired properly, but did not have a BIOS that was compatible with my Ryzen 9. I did a flash update on the MSI and it initially appeared to make most of the problems go away but that only lasted for one day. Screen freezes and keyboard delays strike me as having something to do with one or more buffers. One problem is that every manufacturer can blame the others or Windows as the cause. Windows was a clean install--nothing moved. I installed each program as if it were new. At this point, the only thing I can think of doing is to reinstall Windows, which would cause my programs to be lost again. I have already tried the repair option.

crjdriver

Unless you purchased that boardwalk quite a while ago, there were bios updates. The bios supporting your processor was released over 3 months ago.
Just for reference, the very first thing you do when buying parts is check the support page for support.
FWIW I would get rid of the msi board and go with an asus, asrock, or gigabyte board. Up to you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online