1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

s-l-o-w Ad-aware scan... is this normal?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shelley, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I downloaded Ad-aware 5.83. When tried to scan drive C it took soo long I had to abort. I reckon it would take a year and a day to trudge through a mere 8.0 GB. Is this normal?

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

The Adaware version you are using is outdated. You should go to the link below and download and install the new version. It is much faster and the reference files are current. The one you are using 5.83 can not be updated. You should uninstall 5.83 first and then install the new one.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=506&cat=31

3. TOGG

TOGG

shelley,

When you get AA6, be sure to read the Help files because it takes more setting up than 5.83 did. Make sure you are getting the latest build (162) and, for more advice, visit the Lavasoft forum; http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

For recommendations on how to configure, see this thread in the AA6 Plus forum; http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=2926

The free version doesn't have AdWatch but is otherwise the same as the Plus version. I think you are also advised to allow archived files to be scanned the first time you use the new version.

PS. When/if you get AA6 use the update function before you run a scan, there's another reffile out today (10/2)

4. KLR

KLR

It may be a good idea to turn off any antivirus that is running when you run AdAware6. This may speed up the scan as the active antivirus won't be scanning at the same time, if disabled.
    Ken

5. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I have the freebie version of Zonealarm and I understood that even if you close the program via Close Program it's still active in the background as a security thing. Is that true?

6. TOGG

TOGG

shelley,

Don't know for certain but as ZA is, by definition, monitoring your internet use, once you're offline it's dormant. If you shut the program down, I guess there may be some elements waiting for a startup command but they won't be actively checking security.

A real - time anti virus program should be active whenever the computer is on unless you tell it otherwise. With Norton that means disabling active scanning but I assume other parts of the program continue to function.

Disabling anti - virus is usually recommended when other scanners, like AdAware, are being used or if new software is being installed.

Have you tried Spybot?. It's worth a look and I know that you can run it and AdAware on the same machine because I do (but not at the same time!!!). Take a look at the 'Security Help Tools' list at the top of the Security forum here at TSG.

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

I use ZA pro and NAV and I have never had any trouble running Adaware scan or Spybot scan with them running.

Have you downloaded Adaware 6 build 162 yet?

8. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Yes. I followed the above link but it downloaded Ad-Aware 5, not 6. I disabled my AGV but it still crawls snail-like while examining Drive C. Shame because it did find a couple of suspect files almost straight away. I just don't have the time (or patience) to leave it running for hours on end.

Added ~ I just noticed that it's exactly the same release as previous, 5.83. That's why it's not any better! Has the fact I run on W95 got anything to do with it?

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

I don't see how you could have possibly gotten Adaware 5.83 from the link I provided. Did you uninstall the Adaware you already had first?

If you still have adaware 5.83 you obviously did something wrong.
    If I were you I would uninstall what you have. Go to the link below and click on it and the download should begin momentarily select save in the download dialogue box and save it to your desktop or wherever you choose. When the download completes go to the file and click on it and the setup will begin. Be sure you uninstall Adaware 5.83 first. If you do this you cannot possibly end up with 5.83 you will have 6 build 162 the latest. I really do not think that 5.83 is still available for download. I would be surprised to find that it is as it is obsolete.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/getfile.php?file=506&site=3

10. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I can see what's happened. The original version was still on the C drive and the shortcut still pointed to it. I've removed it. I've since run AA6 and it completed the entire scan in no time at all, even with the AVG running.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

11. Flrman1

Flrman1

YVW Glad to help.

12. scallywag

scallywag

As An Afterthought Have You Tried Spybot, I Have Always Used Ad Aware Myself But Spybot Seems To Delve Deeper Into The Registry.

At The Last Count Spybot Checked For 5117 Known Spyware Programs.....Im Sure Thats More The Ad Aware!

http://www.net-integration.net/spybot/spybotsd.html

13. scallywag

scallywag

As An Afterthought Have You Tried Spybot, I Have Always Used Ad Aware Myself But Spybot Seems To Delve Deeper Into The Registry.

At The Last Count Spybot Checked For 5117 Known Spyware Programs.....Im Sure Thats More The Ad Aware!

http://www.net-integration.net/spybot/spybotsd.html

14. Flrman1

Flrman1

I run spybot and Adaware and since the release of Adaware 6 I think Adaware is better. Just my 2 cents.

15. ronningfamily

ronningfamily

Just be careful, I trusted ad aware on the last two scans and it prevented my system from going to the internet twice. Browser would come up, all apps worked but no Internet access.

System restore, and I was back in business.

Mark

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!