1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

S.M.A.R.T. disk failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arley86, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arley86

arley86 Thread Starter

So I have this desktop, it had an additional internal HD where I would save most of my files.

After a while it had a S.M.A.R.T. failure, it was indicating it pre boot, so I did what every normal human would do and tried to backup all my data.

Now the problem is that it was a 2TB HD, and after transferring a couple hundred GB it would shut down (I think thats the word anyways), I fount out that restarting the PC would sometimes help and it would boot up again, and sometimes it would not.

So after a couple more times of trying to finishing backing up the disk it woulnt boot at all.

Now pre boot it says Disk N# has a S.M.A.R.T. error and refuses to boot., or something among those words.

Is there anything I can make to force him to boot and finishing backing up? or im out of luck at this point,

If you need aditional details such as OS, specs, brands, let me know thanks

The files are not so important that I would take it to a professional and get charged a couple hundred dollars, but would still be nice to recover them

2. donetao

donetao Banned

3. replay

replay

4. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi arley86,

The guys above gave you some good advice. Do test the drive with different cables and on a different PC. Could you run a brand specific diagnostics tool and post the SMART data here?
    Another thing to try is accessing the files with a Linux Live CD/USB. That method involves next to no risk for your data and you will either see the files or you won't. Also, do tell us what brand and model is your drive. If neither Linux nor docking help, you could try with third-party recovery software, however, there is no guarantee that it will work. The safest way to recover the information remains contacting a data recovery company. Still, I hope one of the solutions here helps out :)

Keep us posted
    Frost_WD

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The suggestion to use a linux live disk/usb is a very good one. Here is a link to the last free version of parted magic linux.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic.html

Along with the ability to copy files, PM has a number of diagnostic programs included. I find this disk VERY useful for a large number of tasks including secure erase of drives; both ssd and mech.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Don't let Windows repair that drive until AFTER you have got your data off it.
    It would be better not to allow ANY repairs at all until after you have your data.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice