1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

?'s on Bios Settings & slow response on loading applications!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xzjdzg, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xzjdzg

xzjdzg Thread Starter

Actually, I have 2 questions.

1. I am looking for information on bios settings for the Soyo P4-X400Ultra motherboard. The information can come in the form of an email or the web address of a place that tells me about bios settings for my board. I am not that experienced with the bios settings and the manual does not elibrate on which settings are best. What I would like to know is what are the best settings for my system (shown below)?

2. My second question is actually a problem that I can't seem to figure out. My system has been running well since I built it in Sept. but I have started to notice that applications are taking longer to load. I am not sure if this has been a problem from the beginning since I upgraded from a 800 Mhz and the new system being so much faster just never noticed. I can hit the shortcut to begin an application and it will begin by coming up in chunks...meaning that it loads pieces of the application over several seconds. For instance, the background shows up, then the menu, then the scroll bar, etc.

I have tried defragging, scan disk, Norton SpeedDisk all in an effort to make the HD access faster. One thing that I did notice however is that the S.M.A.R.T. parameter will not stay enabled in the bios. I can set it and when I reboot, it will revert back to disabled. Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not.

I would appreciate any and all responses.

Miller

Soyo SY-P4X400 Dragon Ultra mobo
    P4 2.4b Intel chip
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    (2) WD 80 gig, 7200 Rpm, 8mb cache Harddrives
    SB Audigy Gamer soundcard
    512mb PC2700 DDR Ram
    52x Lite-on CD
    16X40X10 HP 9700 series CD-Writer
    19" Samtron 96BDF flat monitor
    Win XP Pro

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

basic bios info.....

http://www.pcmech.com/bios.htm

google "bios settings" and you will find TONS of webpages discussing this subject.

for your second issue....

1) download spybot/adaware to clean your system of cpu hogging spyware.

2) clean your startup menu to conserve resources

3) Vscan your system with current virus definitions

after that, if you are still bogging down, we can get a little more indepth.

3. xzjdzg

xzjdzg Thread Starter

Thanks for responding so quickly. I am grateful.

The bios tip was also ehlpful but I haven't spent the time research the site as of yet. I will though and may have more questions to post here.

As for my other problems, one thing that I did do was to turn off Norton auto-protect. This alone was really slowing down the system and was causing a majority of the problems. As for the other 3 tips, I have already done this before posting.

If you might have any other ideas, please post them. I still need to figure out the S.M.A.R.T. bios problem.

Thanks again,
    Miller

4. Rockn

Rockn

The SMART(Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology) thing in the BIOS can only be enabled if your hard drive supports it. Not all hard drives support it. I personally dumped Norton ages ago for that very reason.....HUGE resource hog. Post a list of all the applications running in the background.

5. jakoval

jakoval

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice