1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

S**t

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Tipacanoe, Apr 15, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. Tipacanoe

Tipacanoe Thread Starter

Exciting Historical information you need to know about shipping manure:

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship.
    It was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of
    manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen. Methane began to build up below decks, and the first time someone came below at night, with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term, " Ship High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T," which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I. I
    always thought it was a golf term.

;)

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

I thought it was a word skydivers used when their parachutes failed.

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Very informative tipacanoe, but I have to say that that story was one load of s**t!

Sorry pal! I couldn't resist! :rolleyes:

:D

4. Big-K

Big-K

And to think all these years ive been believing the theory of 'cursed curse words'...

5. AlbertB

AlbertB

Sorry to be the one to debunk a good story but:

Well that is interesting. It would appear that saying "sh1t" entered the English language at a specifiable time from outside, whereas speaking "sh1t" has always been a common part of American! ;)

Incidentally it shows the greater accuracy of the north of England dialects as we almost always speak of sh1te not sh1t, (as in white not wit :D)!

6. GreenIs

GreenIs

LOL @ Albert

That was very interesting and something I did not know, and a word a use too often. :eek: :D

7. Gibble

Gibble

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice