1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

S-Video Nightmares

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by flexxx77, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flexxx77

flexxx77 Thread Starter

Alright heres the lowdown, I've had some bad experiences with s-video in the past, i tried hooking up my PC to my TV using the s-video cable that had come with my video card and it showed up on my tv in black and white and horribly skewed. I couldn't really do anything because the image was so flickery and wrecked so thats about as far as I got there. Now I recently bought a laptop and I'm wondering if i hook this sucker's s-video up to my tv would it be any better? Anything I should know before doing it? Oh, by the way, in the previous incident i was talking about it also managed to **** up my monitor on my pc somehow, well i had to reinstall the drivers that is, huge hassel... I'd like to avoid that if possible...

Any tips/help/suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks!

2. flexxx77

flexxx77 Thread Starter

bump really looking for help...

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Having no idea in what part of the world you are located, I would suggest you make sure that the S-video output of your computer matches the video standard (NTSC, PAL, SECAM) used by the TV. A mismatch could give you an unstable black and white picture.

4. Tadtheo

Tadtheo

Hi, I had a similar problem with my laptop and tv, I fixed it by using a VGA cord, provided your tv and laptop have the right ports

Hope That Helps

5. buffoon

buffoon

The S-Vido output of your PC is analogue. That says nothing about what TV format it supports. Follow Chuck's advice first and find out
    which formats your PC out supports. Tadtheo's advice is good if you have VGA both on PC and TV 'cos that means your TV also supports VGA. If not you're going to have to spend some money on a converter
    (the b/w pircture you describe with flickers leads me to think that there's an image format conflict).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice