1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

S3apphk.exe

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by tressermckay, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tressermckay

tressermckay Thread Starter

dudes and dudettes...i'm beyond bummed.

so this morning i got my virtual mem is too low warning...haven't seen it in a while...so i C-A-D to see my current processes...and as always there are a lot of them. I get curious and wonder what's the deal....why so many. so i did a search on two of them...one bein ght esubject of this post (S3apphk.exe) and the other another virus csrss.exe

so now im freakin. like hardcore freakin.

I ran spybot and got the process list from there...please tell me what i need to kill, and how.

Spybot-S&D process list report, 9/25/2003 10:30:34 AM

PID: 0 ( 0) [System]
    PID: 4 ( 0) System
    PID: 444 ( 760) alg.exe
    PID: 644 ( 4) \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe
    PID: 692 ( 644) csrss.exe
    PID: 716 ( 644) \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    PID: 760 ( 716) C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    PID: 772 ( 716) C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    PID: 960 ( 760) C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    PID: 1068 ( 760) C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    PID: 1176 (2036) C:\Program Files\United Devices\ud_1396140.exe
    PID: 1248 ( 760) svchost.exe
    PID: 1288 ( 760) svchost.exe
    PID: 1436 (1504) C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
    PID: 1504 (1476) C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    PID: 1544 ( 760) C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    PID: 1572 ( 760) C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    PID: 1604 (1544) C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    PID: 1764 (1504) C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    PID: 1796 (1504) C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    PID: 1820 (1504) C:\WINDOWS\System32\S3apphk.exe
    PID: 1832 (1504) C:\WINDOWS\System32\LXSUPMON.EXE
    PID: 1840 (1504) C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    PID: 1884 (1504) C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
    PID: 1900 (1504) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Guardian\CMGrdian.exe
    PID: 1928 (1504) C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
    PID: 1960 (1504) C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    PID: 2000 (1504) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Shared Components\Instant Updater\RuLaunch.exe
    PID: 2020 (1504) C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe
    PID: 2028 (1504) C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    PID: 2036 (1504) C:\Program Files\United Devices\UD.EXE
    PID: 2056 ( 760) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Firewall\CPD.EXE
    PID: 2324 (1176) C:\Program Files\United Devices\ud_1396140_0.dir\ud_ligfit_Release.exe
    PID: 2352 (2056) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee Firewall\CPD.EXE
    PID: 3272 (1504) C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    PID: 3608 ( 760) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe
    PID: 3624 (3608) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\VsStat.exe
    PID: 3636 (3624) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Vshwin32.exe
    PID: 3648 ( 760) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\McShield\Mcshield.exe
    PID: 3748 (3624) C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee VirusScan\Avconsol.exe
    :confused:

2. $teve

$teve

S3apphk.exe is S3 graphics related.
    csrss.exe = Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem.
    possibly related errors.

go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

;)

3. tressermckay

yeah...my most recent HT scans are here <a href="http://forums.techguy.org/t166425/s.html">http://forums.techguy.org/t166425/s.html</a>

i have no idea if this html is going to work....

but yeah...i've got all the goodies..but i dont think my work machine had a process list recorded on my last HT log. Isn't the one spybot has just as well?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

How much ram is installed in the system, how big is the hard drive or partition on which Windows is installed?

Virtual memory refers to the "paging file" which is used most aggressively when "real" memory or installed ram is running low on available space.

Bring up System Properties (Windows+Pause/Break) and click Advanced > Performance/Settings > Advanced

What does it say for the Virtual Memory setting there in megabytes? Do you have room to enlarge it?

And how often do you reboot the system?

By the way you can monitor real time paging file usage through the "performance" tab of the Task Manager.

5. tressermckay

6. tressermckay

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here's a look at mine for comparison. You can see that the difference in Hard Drive space available accounts for Windows allocating more memory to the maximum available.

The problem I see is in your configuration Windows RECOMMENDED value is 381mb, very near the current maximum setting. You'll note my intial size is set exactly at that recommended value. I think you should change yours to that. It probably isn't necessary to enlarge the max allowable.

By the way, how much ram is installed? This determines how much Virtual memory is used as a substitute. Installing more ram might not be a bad idea and will probably significantly improve performance by requiring less hard drive paging.

Attached Files:

8. tressermckay

256 MB of RAM on a 1.3GHz xp sys

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Some XP systems are sold with as little as 128mb of installed ram. I would consider 256mb to be a practical minimum, but 512 to 1 gig recommended, depending on the type of applications you run. Graphics intensive programs, photoshop for example, will quickly consume as much as they can. Games can be the same way, even if you have a good video card.

In XP as in Win9x it helps to reboot once in a while to purge and refresh all memory caches. If you rarely do this you may be encountering problems resulting from programs not properly freeing memory when closed. This results in more Virtual memory being paged to make up for the locked "real" memory (ram).

By the way, you can configure Task Manager to show how much Virtual Memory (VM) is being used by each application. Under View > Select Columns you can choose what to show. Select Memory an d Virtual Memory to see how it is being used by individual processes.

10. tressermckay

yeah..i almost never reboot....system stays on all the time and when not being used to write faxes or work related pricing with special programs ( not image heavy ). when idle it runs the UD cancer project in the background and as screensaver ( HUGE image on the screen saver)

i've bumped it 100 to 284 ( leaving 100 left), even though the min is said to be 381.

thanks for you help all.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome, the "never" rebooting and the additional applications usage is probably the source of the problem. Check my additional comments above for another view of how that memory gets allocated.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice