1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

safari Pop Ups

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Dwntwn50, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

Within the last few weeks when I open Safari and start browsing the web there is a large pop up on the bottom of the screen that comes up and ask if I want to look at another site, or would you like to try this site, etc, etc, I have Safari set for private browsing, the pop up blocker is on. I didn't have this problem before and haven't added anything . It' very annoying.

Could this be coming from Google? Yahoo? I
    If I open one of my saved sites withing a few seconds this big pop up starts to show it's ugly self from the bottom of the web site, it's driving me crazy.
    Has anyone experienced this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    First, run this utility so we know the specs of your computer, and then paste the results here. (It would be even better to edit your profile, all the way at the bottom is a text box to enter this information, and then an icon always appears next to your name providing this information.)

http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Second, could you attach some screen shots of this pop up or pop ups so we can see exactly what it is.

Third, I would run a virus scan. Could be a virus. Not sure tho.

3. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try and get a photo. I guess I have to ask, how to do you run a virus scan on an Apple?

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Oh you have a Mac. Macs typically are considered less likely to get a virus only because windows is a much bigger market. So hackers tend to target windows computer more than macs. I am very unfamiliar with Macs. With a google search, it seems that Macs do not come preinstalled with a virus scanner. I would post the pictures first, and then we can go from there. Here's an article for taking screenshots on Macs.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/screencapturemac/ht/macscreenshot.htm

5. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

6. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

/Users/mab8104/Desktop/Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 6.16.32 PM.png

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    In order to properly attach an image so I am able to view it, when replying, below the text box in which you type in, select the "go advanced" tab. Then, at the top of this new text box, you will see like a paperclip icon. If you hold your mouse over it, it will say attachments. Click on it and "upload a file from your computer."

8. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

9. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

At the bottom you will see a white tab, this is what keeps popping up when I go into any web site. It was doing it while I was on this site.

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You said you had the pop-up blocker on, make sure there are no exceptions in the pop-up blocker. If there is and it is this pop-up, it essentially bypasses the pop-up blocker.

11. Headrush

Headrush

Does this only occur on specific web sites?

That looks more like a HTML coded popup than a "real" popup window.

12. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

It happens on any web site. As I was typing a response the same type of pop up came up on this web site.

13. Headrush

Headrush

What version of OS X are you using?
    We are going to need to check your hosts file.

Are you using any Safari extensions also?

14. Dwntwn50

Dwntwn50 Thread Starter

I'm using OS X 10.8.2

15. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Don't forget to respond to the last question as well.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice