1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe Email ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Frank4d, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

My 8 y-o son wants an email account. I am hesitant to set one up for him, due to the unsolicited email content I receive with subjects like:
    "Make her gag on your size"
    "Add three inches to your male member"

I want him to be able to send and receive email with friends . But I don't want him to even see messages like the above, even if the message content is blocked. Impossible?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Basically impossible to be certain one won't get through. While you can filter 99% of them, it's just not possible to filter all of them.

The only thing that comes to mind is to setup a mail server and censor all the email, but I'm not sure you want to get in the middle of that can of worms either. :)

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    My 8 year old son wanted the same. We set up a Googlemail account and he's set up a Group for his contacts. I use Gmail myself & find the spam filter to be 99.9% effective. We also have a "junk" e-mail account so if any new sites ask for an e-mail address & we're not too sure about their privacy policy(!) we quote that one. My son does not have the password to the "junk" account so I can check the content & if there is anything OK in it I can forward it to his proper account. I know it's a bit convoluted but (so far!) it's working.
    In case you are intersted this is a link to the google web page that my son set up:
    http://3490photo.googlepages.com/home
    I hope he will update it!!

Hope this helps?
    Richard.

4. hewee

hewee

5. Frank4d

Thanks, I will look into some of the Google links. After some intial searches it looks like I can accomplish what I want with Outlook 2003 (set up the Junk filter to block all senders except those in the Safe list). Of course I would need to hack Outlook to remove access to the Junk Email tabs.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

IMHO, an 8 yr old should be supervised when online. Email should also be censored by an adult. Just because it is from his friend little Billy, does not mean there are no attachments or links.

7. firestormer

firestormer

I would probably use Gmail as it has a good Junk Filter in combination with Thunderbird (see link below)

Although many email sevices have junk filters the junk emails can still be viewed. That is why i suggest using Thunderbird (or any other email software) as they wont retrive the filtered emails.

You could then if you wished to go one step further block the Gmial log in so that he can only access the email via Thunderbird.

You should also take into account what my learned friend XPSP2 (soon to be made redundant by vista lol) say about supervision. I recomend positioning your PC in a central part af you home such as the living room in order to make supervision more practicle

8. hewee

hewee

Plus to add to what firestormer said with Thunderbird setting the email up to view in plain text will also make it safer.

9. firestormer

firestormer

Good call hewee i hadnt thought of that.

Plus you could custamise your filters to delete or move certain email containing certain words which for obvious resons i cant list here

10. hewee

hewee

Another good point you made too firestormer.

11. Akmorph

Akmorph

I believe google also has a feature where you can only recieve mail from people on your contact list. Ive been using Googlemail for over 2 years now and its been pretty good for me.

12. hewee

hewee

Not sure what all you can do on the free version because I have just gotten it but Earthlink has free wab base email you can get too. Some of what you can do is limited because it is the free account.
    http://webmail.earthlink.net/

13. Frank4d

I finally decided to do what I did with email for my three older kids... When he is old enough to setup a working email account on his own with no help from me, he is old enough to for email. He should be 12 or 13 by that time.

14. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

My 4 and 6 year olds know more about computers then I did by age 18.

15. jdl

jdl

Safe Email? Do you know what an oxymoron is?

My definition goes something like this, "Conjoining contradictory terms (as in 'deafening silence')"

All good suggestions though!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice