1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

safe mode big problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by len9173, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. len9173

len9173 Thread Starter

hi guy need big help:confused:
    i have picked up a virus i tryed to do a system restore but could not. tryed the system restore support but no joy. then computer started to look like windows 98 and become slow. when i tryed to go into safe mode to do a system restore computer freezers on the black screen with the writing /multi (0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32\drivers
    Tryed all safe modes and still no joy.
    So i done a product recovery with the disk put computer says retten.exe file missing

file /1386\ntkrnlap.exe cide 7 missing
    any help please thanks len

2. len9173

len9173 Thread Starter

computer is a
    medion microstar runing windows xp

3. len9173

len9173 Thread Starter

is it looking like new harddriver

4. Todd33

Todd33

The good news is that you won't have to necessarily buy a new hard drive. You will have to re-install your operating system and any other applications you had on your pc. This happened to me a few months ago and I re-installed windows after deleting the previous version and installed Avast and Malwarebytes to prevent it from happening again.

5. len9173

len9173 Thread Starter

but how can i delete windows if i can not access anythink even thought safe mode.

if i buy windows xp and install it will is wipe my windows xp away

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    You can do a repair install. What this should do is just repair your Windows installation but leave your files intact. However, it is recommended to make sure you have an up-to-date backup before starting, just in case things go wrong.

If you do not have a backup, or it's out of date, let us know so we can help you through it.

You can find the full guide for a repair install here:

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

7. Todd33

Todd33

Hi len,
    Basically all you have to do is insert the xp disk in your computer and re-boot. When it re-boots, at the top left of the screen it should say "press any key to boot from cd" or something along those lines. Press any key and the install process will initiate. It willl give you a list of options. Choose to install XP and it will then scan for previous versions of windows. In the next window it will show a list of options at the top half and the prior version(s) of XP. Choose to delete the previous version and then proceed with the new install. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.(y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!