1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe mode black screen ):-S

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MA$H, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MA$H

MA$H Thread Starter

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6 ghz / 2Gb Ram at 800hz
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512Mb
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi there,

I cannot boot into safe mode at all,
    It will load all the drivers past Mup.sys, next one is D347.sys and Jgogo.sys, after that it wont even load the login screen or the "Safe mode" writing on the corners. I have tried other 2 safe modes as well, and nothing. I have all updated drivers for my M/B and GPU, etc. I also have done spy-ware & anti virus checks and nothing found. I have checked lots of forums and nothing found helps.. I have tried disabling some ports, i.e raid, scsi, on board LAN as I dont use them at all. Still refuses to load... I'm so desperate to find out what it could be. The hard drive thats got the OS is a SATA drive so I cannot plug it in to my other PC as it uses IDE.

Have tried pretty much everything except reformat and repair. And I do not want to format that's for sure, as I have so many updates, and need to install SP2 again and don't have time for it. I have ghost backups, but no point because same problem still exists with those images aswell! And I don't use system restore. ONLY thing recently added is some critical updates.. But don't see why this would cause it not to load.

If any extra info is needed please let me know, I have attached ntbtlog.txt if it helps.. as it really doesn't help me.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated to help nail this annoying problem right on the noggin! :)

Attached Files:

2. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

Bad Ram???

3. MA$H

MA$H Thread Starter

I really doubt it could be bad RAM as my PC is not even a year old, and I keep it in very good condition. Everything is fine in normal windows mode.

4. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

I am speaking from experiance, I had a bad ram stick, that would not allow me to install XP, But once it was installed, I was able to put the ram back in and it worked fine... Also Some hard drives come with windows installed, where they set the jumper to Master to install, and then changed it to CS, then sold it to you. And if you have ever tried to install on a hard drive that the jumper is set to CS, You get different errors everytime.. (it makes it a bit further each time you try.. ).. Setting it to Master solved the problem,,, For the ram issue I think it was I had 133mhz ram in a 100mhz board. And for some reason it would not allow the install to work with the 133, I had to use my 128 100mhz ram to install, then put in my 512 and 256, 133mhz sticks,, Still working fine to this day,,

Other problems I have had with installs of XP,
    DVD drive would not work to install XP, I used a older CD drive it worked fine.
    Jumper settings on the CD drive, or hard drive.
    Having a second hard drive plugged in with incorrect jumper settings, (set to slave was incorrect, cable select on second drive allowed the install on the master hard drive).
    Bad ram stick,
    Incorect ram stick.
    Bios protected hard drive.
    Bad windows CD.

I have owned over 100 computers, and installed Windows XP on over 200,
    I run a free computers for the needy recycleing program, hence the experiance with installs, and troubleshooting.

5. MA$H

MA$H Thread Starter

Paynesmanor, I understand your speaking of experience. But if you read my last post you will see it has nothing to do with bad ram. If it was bad ram I would get errors in normal mode aswell as alot of system crashes. I have seen PC's with bad ram and this definitely is not one of those. And to prove myself wrong I took out the ram, and switched them over. I put in another 1gb from my other PC and still same issue.

My SATA hd that is on SATA port1 has the O/S installed.. I have another HD which is a secondary slave on IDE. None of them are on CS.. I am seriously considering repairing XP, but really dont want to incase nothing changes.. and I will have to re-install all updates, Service Packs... and it will just put me over the edge.

6. Paynesmanor

Paynesmanor

I did not see that the problem is only with Safe mode?? Safe mode is the exact same thing as NORMAL mode, The only difference is ONLY THE REQUIRED WINDOWS APPS TO BOOT WILL LOAD,,, Unless you select Safemode with command Prompt, or Networking,,, So By selecting Safe Mode, your basiclly loading less then a regular windows boot.. (Exact same files), So A, your not waiting long enough for safemode desktop to load, Or you have a PC that will not boot. You can create your own safemode boot, by booting to normal desktop, then click start run and msconfig, I dont recall which services only load in safe mode, But there are some from each tab in the msconfig that will need to be disabled... One last idea, perhaps you have your default screen resolution set to very large, or the montior is messed up some way,, Try adjusting the screen position with the monitor controls, when it goes to the safemode desktop where you cant see the desktop? For my last GUESS,, Perhaps the default video driver for windows is corrupt? Otherwise I dont have a clue,, But I do agree its definately not a ram issue if the problem only occurs in a "safemode" boot...

7. Flags

Flags

8. MA$H

MA$H Thread Starter

Ok, I tried to change the monitor settings in safe mode, didn't work.
    Removed graphics driver and reinstalled, tried safe mode, same thing; a black screen, no mouse cursor, no safe mode writing....not even one of those senseless MS errors :mad: this one really sucks.

Flags: luckily I heard about the InCD on another forum aswell, I removed Nero and all reg keys related to it and InCD itself, was not surprised to see it fail.

Think I'm going to try disabling devices one by one and see if that works?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!