1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

safe mode headache

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by [email protected], Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VNAUT26@SI.RR.C

[email protected] Thread Starter

hello to all: recently tried loading a cd burner called "roxio" & was told that i had to restart my computor in order for thisd prog to reconfigure the system......... big mistake....... when i rebooted i got the screen that shows a safe mode screen(starting with #1 for normal), after pressing my space bar i was taken to my desktop screen where i am now stuck with "safe mode " showing in all 4 corners of that screen.......... i am using windows m e............ can anyone please tell me how to get my screen and applications back to normal.thanx to all...........

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Moved to Windows ME forum...

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You need to tell us more about your computer and which version of EZ you have installed. It is very normal for a computer to have to be restarted in order for a program to work, so that's not EZ's fault. Let's first find out why you were sent to safe mode. Have you tried to reboot again?

4. VNAUT26@SI.RR.C

thanx 4 your quick response, & the ans. is yes, i did try rebooting........... no luck.. still stuck in desktop with safe mode in all 4 corners....... any helpful suggestions??? what is e z ?

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Roxio only makes one CD program. EZ CD 6.0. What program from them are you using?

Also, try running scandisk and defrag in safe mode.

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Is THIS what you're using :confused:

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi- Since you mentioned the space bar, are you using GoBack?
    You hit the space bar to use GoBack...
    Roxio has sold GoBack to Symantec Corp.

8. VNAUT26@SI.RR.C

can't honestly tell u what version of roxio i loaded because it was a remade disc by a friend of mine, but i will run scandisc & defrag.......... i really don't want roxio installed anymore i just want to get out of this safe mode screen & get my pc back to normal

9. starwaves77

starwaves77

Hi Vnaut,
    You just want to get back in windows, since you know Roxio is the last thing you installed it is causing the conflict. While your in safe mode go to the Control Panel and remove it and then uninstall the software driver for it. Double check your "cd rom" in Dvice Manager for any exclamations, if Roxi is one of them, remove it.

:)

10. VNAUT26@SI.RR.C

TO STARWAVES 77 & ANYONE ELSE WITH AN ANSWER TO THIS NEW PROB: RESOLVED SAFE MODE PROB, BUT DUE TO THAT PROB I LOST 3 DRIVES(CD, DVD, & ZIP), ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW I CAN GET THEM BACK?????

11. VNAUT26@SI.RR.C

the safe mode prob i was having was solved, but in the process 3 of my drives, (m- cd drive , n- dvd drive, & my zip drive) were lost. can anyone tell me how i can get them back........ much appreciated............

12. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, I don't want to get into too much trouble, but I think you may need to have the drives redetected in your BIOS- you cannot "lose" 3 drives very easily. When the system starts....you see a message to hit a key, sometimes the DEL key, to enter Setup....check in Standard CMOS settings area for drives....set them to auto or whatever is reccommended for your BIOS, they usually tell you what to have the setting, either AUTO for CD, hard drives, the removable drives might be listed where the floppy drive (1.44MB) is....
    Yesterday, my 3 yr old grandson hit the eject button while a game was playing,,,resulted in a non-booting older hard drive and burnt older CD drive....so, you can lose drives but it's usually a sudden jolt that does it, not a software problem....probably your BIOS settings need adjustment is all.
    They should detect as what they actually are, Primary or Secondary, Master or Slave, for hard drives and CD type drives.
    Just going into the BIOS and saving and exiting re-sets things so the drives show up- don't change anything if they are listed, just SAVE/EXIT as it tells you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice