1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe Mode Only

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by flet, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flet

flet Thread Starter

Hi, I have an HP pavilion Laptop 64bit operating system . Windows 7 home premium.
    When I switch on it boots up just as usual then if I attempt to open anything, a message that reads "failed to connect to windows service" then any other attempt to do anything just brings up a message for 2 secs that mentions registry error, then a screen to choose safe mode etc.
    I have a D drive named 'recovery' So assuming that if that was to return it to normal operating would I then loose all documents, pictures etc
    I did try system restore while in safe mode but it would not work
    Thanks for reading

2. Agye

Agye

the recovery have an option where you can choose to delete all file but initially that's not the idea of recovery it will only reinstall windows keeping your file and pictures but I will advice to backup before doing anything

3. Agye

Agye

but there might be a way to handle your problem it seems some of your registry and services are not responding it will be better to boot in safe mood and check your services and registry for corruption there are various ways to get them working but if none works then your last resort will be recovery

4. flet

flet Thread Starter

Many thanks, the strange thing is that this happened just after I had been doing a backup on to an external hard drive. The backup stopped because the hard drive didn't have enough space. Later I plugged the hard drive into my desktop (XP) to check which files it hadn't managed to get and that's now crashed completely. I have never had any problems with either of them before, could it be the external hard drive.

5. Agye

Agye

try using the safe mood to see if you can check your registry and your services and trying turning on your services. if you don't have any idea about how it works you can do this: click run and type msconfig then make sure you select selective startup if is already at selective startup try using normal startup and try again booting it normally if your problem will persist

6. flet

flet Thread Starter

Thank you I will try

7. flet

flet Thread Starter

No change I am afraid. I did note that when I entered msconfig it gave me tabs one of which was 'service' when I click that the status of everything is 'stopped' Is that normal

8. flet

flet Thread Starter

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The time stamps indicate that was a notice for post # 5.

10. flet

flet Thread Starter

Sorry TerryNet

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No reason to be sorry. We all get confused at times. :)

12. Agye

Agye

am sorry for not replying earlier on but if your situation is not solve try selecting normal startup at the general tab

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THe Recovery Partition is used on Bigbox computers (Dell, HP/Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, etc...,) when you do a factory restore. This resets the Computer to state it was in from the factory, all of your personal files (Photos, Emails,Documents will be deleted.

14. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

You can try restoring the registry from the RegBack folder that exists on your System. However, the registry files are protected while your system is live in Normal or Safe mode, meaning you will need to either boot into the "Repair Mode" that you can get into by pressing F8 during boot, or by booting using another CD/USB drive with it's own OS.

Repair mode is the simplest. Go into repair mode and navigate the menus until you find the option to access the command prompt.

Once you have the command prompt, you will need to figure out which letter drive is yours. Usually it is C, but it can be different.

You can do this by typing:

"dir A:/Users"

It will show you a list of user profiles on that drive. If you don't see your profile, move on to the next letter.

"dir B:/Users"

And so on until you find the drive letter that corresponds with your windows drive.

From this point, you will need to enter the following command:

"dir C:/Windows/System32/config/RegBack" <--replace "C" with your drive letter.

If you see some files appear like "SOFTWARE" "SAM" "SYSTEM" "SECURITY", then you're in luck.

The rest of the commands go as follows:

"cd C:/Windows/System32/config"
    "mkdir backupfolder"
    "copy *.* backupfolder"
    "cd RegBack"
    "copy *.* .."

It should ask you if you want to overwrite. Press yes to all.

Then reboot, and see what happens. It may fix your problem. If not, you will most likely need to save all your data to a usb drive and factory restore your system.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141197

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice