1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe Mode/Parallel Port/Video Driver Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by liquid_vision, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liquid_vision

liquid_vision Thread Starter

Hi all.

Please, read this post fully and carefully before posting a response, as the error is VERY specific, and I'm hoping I'm not the only person who has had it...

I am attempting to repair a laptop which is running WinXP Home.

I have installed service pack 3, and the most up to date security packs that are available.

Windows boots correctly in normal mode, however, booting into safe mode results in a blue screen, with the following stop code

0x000000B4

I have attributed this error to a conflict between the parallel port and the video card, and after some googling, I discovered that the problem can be corrected by changing the hardware address of the parallel port to one which does not conflict.

The problem is this. This laptop does not have a parallel port. The BIOS does not contain anything relating to the parallel port at all, and there is no way I can change the address of the video card in either the BIOS or windows.

My current idea is to try and remove the parallel port driver from safe mode, but I have no idea where to find it, and no help is available on the internet.

I am appealing to anybody who knows of this sort of fault, or can think of anything avenue I might explore as a solution - I've been on this for the past 9 hours without a break, and I'm at my wits' end....

I have eliminated the following as potential causes.

1) Viruses - System is completely clean
    2) Rootkits - as above, plus, system boots in normal mode
    3) Broken windows directory (I have checked the contents against a working system, and all system files are present as they should be)

Hopefully awaiting responses, Alex

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya liquid_vision.

I`m not too sure about the hardware side of laptops but is it possible (and easy) to get to the mobo battery ? If it is, take it out and put it back in after a minute or two, therefore resetting BIOS.

Another idea is to boot up in normal mode, uninstall the GPU drivers and after rebooting, install them again, ensuring they`re the up-to-date ones and correct for that particular graphics chip.

Jenny

3. liquid_vision

liquid_vision Thread Starter

Hi Jenny.

I'd forgotten that I had posted this in 2 different forums.

The problem was related to a conflict between the parallel port driver and the graphics card driver when booted into safe mode.

I tried a remove and reinstall of the graphics drivers, which made no difference, and another member posted tips on disabling the parallel port service in the registry, which seemed to solve the initial problem.

The machine no longer BSODs when it boots to safe mode, although now, it just hangs and does very little else...

The problem is still alluding me slightly, as in normal mode, it works faultlessly (after a great deal of work yesterday totalling some 11 hours).

The CMOS battery on this machine is pretty well tucked away inside the casing. I did a repair on a similar model a few years ago which needed stripping right back to the chassis to get to the battery - something which I have neither the time or the patience to do right now.

I have mused on updating the BIOS, as the current version is pretty crippled and doesn't allow any adjustment to the hardware addresses of any of the built in peripherals.

It also has a spelling mistake in it which I spotted last night.

Doesn't inspire much confidence in the build quality.....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!