1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe mode problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pinaar, Aug 9, 2018 at 7:02 AM.

Advertisement
  1. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Hi All,
    I am having a problem with starting in safe mode. Problem started with the new "sky go" app that keeps stuttering when playing anything, reading through forums it seems it is a common problem and it has been suggested to run it in safe mode to see if it works there. My problem is if I try the restart > F8 key route I get an error message about a locked key. So I tried the msconfig route and set to restart in safe mode from there but when restarted the laptop just boots as normal.

Laptop is only an old refurbed Lenovo T410 running Windows 7 pro but has always done everything I need it to do without problem. Is there any other way to force a safe mode restart ?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Don't hold down the [F8] key. Wait for the BIOS information to appear, then start tapping the [F8] key slowly .. maybe a couple times per second.

Note that on some laptops you also have to hold down the [Fn] key, then start tapping the [F8].

3. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Another option

1) Open Elevated Command Prompt.
    2) Copy and Paste or Type one of the following bcdedit commands and press Enter:

Safe Mode:
    bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Safe Mode with Networking:
    bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

You may also want to try clean boot as follows and see if the problem continues.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

4. Pinaar

Pinaar Thread Starter

Elevated Command Prompt ?

5. dckeks

dckeks

First Name:
    Darrin
    Here are the details.

Click on Start menu
    Type command to start searching
    Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice