1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe mode problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MyName, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

I was over fixing a friends computera Sony Vaio. It had 16 trojans when I scanned, and some spyware odds and ends. I cleaned the spyware and tried to do all the trojans, however, it wouldn't let me delete five files due to them being in use. So I was going to boot in safe mode, so i went to msconfig, boot.ini and checked /safeboot. I restarted the computer but after the windows splash screen i get 'OUT OF SCAN RANGE 35.5KHz / 84 Hz' on the screen. I restarted tapping Esc chose Normal boot with the same message, safe boot got the same etc. I looked around and found somethings on the internet about the message saying it could be the monitor refresh rate that messed up. however, all the solutions require you to be in windows, which i can not get to. any ideas?

2. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

I saw some other threads that may help. The operating system is Windows XP by the way. Is there a way to boot to command prompt so I can try Scanreg /restore ? If so, will that bring the trojans back (not that big of a deal). I think that may be my best option, unless someone has a better idea.

3. scmazter

scmazter

Oi, yeh u r very lucky you have XP (I never thought i'd say that!)
    U know, how you press F9 before the windows logo comes up on startup?
    Try last good config.
    If that doesn't work, try inserting the XP disc, and using the repair utility.

I think while getting rid of the parasites on your comp, you might have somehow modified/deleted video card/adapter and/or monitor drivers and/or settngs.

Anybody else think of anything?

4. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

I don't see how I could have deleted anything with the video card. I used a program called 'The Cleaner' to get all the trojans off. Everything was fine until I tried rebooting in safe mode. I'm thinking some sort of conflict between the particular computer and safe mode, although I'm not sure why that would happen. And while I'm not positive, I believe I tried F8 then last good configuration and it said that it could not find any good configurations to boot from. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure. Any ideas?

5. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

bump..

6. scmazter

scmazter

Well, I also suggested, trying 2 use the repair utility on windowsXP cd.
    If that doesn't work, well u might have 2 format.

7. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

I'm going to take another crack at it soon. Is there another way, other than Safe Mode with Command Line, that I can access a command line to try scanreg /restore? My brain isn't working right now, but I figure if Safe Mode with command doesn't work, I better have another way.

8. rude

rude

Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom

9. dai

dai

press f8 while booting up and choose last known good configuration if no go,try vga mode

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. MyName

MyName Thread Starter

Since the computer was fairly new, I thought a re-install was the best option. It took me about fourty-five minutes to get everything back, so that's not bad. With the amount of virus'/trojans/spyware on the computer, it was probably better off. Out of curiosity, his computer was a Sony, and he didn't have a XP cd. I was going to borrow my Compaq XP cd, would that work between a Compaq and Sony?

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you did a repair installation as opposed to a clean installation, XP saved all your viruses and trojans for you. Better still do a scan.

If either system is an OEM installation, the other company's installation CD probably won't work and will try to install all the wrong drivers. There should be restoration documentation and restore CD's or a restore partition with the machine.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!