1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe mode problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nikhiljo, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nikhiljo

nikhiljo Thread Starter

I have been trying to restart my computer in the safe mode so that i can get rid of a couple of trojans. It loads upto the point where I can see "safe mode" printed on the four corners of the monitor, but the desktop remains blank and black. None of the desktop icons, startup bar or the taskbar showup. Everything is blank except for the words "safe mode" mentioned above. I thought it will take some time to load, but even after 10-15 mins, the screen was the same. And unless I run NAV in the safe mode, I can't get rid of the trojans. pls help! i am totally lost!
    thanks
    Nikhil

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Welcome to TSG :)

Are you trying to remove the Vundo trojan by any chance?

3. nikhiljo

nikhiljo Thread Starter

Yeah, it was a vundo playing around in my system and didn't know what to do. But I managed to get the vundo out using the symantec's vundo removal tool. (I don't have the link here). It worked, and now my comp is back to normal. thanks, though! I appreciate your reply.

4. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

You're welcome! :)

That's actually normal to happen when using the Vundo Fix. The code in the Vundo trojan is so badly written, that many users cant go into safe mode because "explorer.exe" is occupied trying to execute these codes and occupies 100% of the CPU capacity.

Glad you got it resolved though! :D

You can mark your thread "Solved" from the Thread Tools drop down menu.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!