1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe mode problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1mikeg, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1mikeg

1mikeg Thread Starter

When I boot up in safe mode (windows XP - Professional) all I get is a list of drivers. I can not do anything on the computer at this point. The keyboard doesn't work. I have to "force" shut down the computer and start up again normally (not safe mode). What is the problem that is not allowing me to do anything in safe mode?

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG...

The keyboard you are using is it a USB keyboard?

3. 1mikeg

1mikeg Thread Starter

The computer is a laptop. The internal keyboard and USB connected keyboard are both inoperable when I start up in safe mode. I only get a list of drivers on the screen. The computer is basically frozen at this point. Thanks

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since you have a laptop and the keyboard is unusable I would suggest calling tech support for the manufacturer of the laptop they would be able to give you better directions as to where to take it for service.

I would suggest that removing the USB keyboard would be a good place to atart and see if it boots without it.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

ozrom1e, I think you've missunderstood what's happening. The problem is the computer is not completely booting into Safe Mode. The keyboard isn't "working" because there's nothing you can do with the keyboard while the system is still in the middle of the boot process.

1mikeg, what is the last line posted on the screen when it stops booting?
    Is it the same every time?
    Has the hard drive light stopped blinking and that's why you know the boot process is stuck?
    How long have you waited before rebooting? It takes longer to boot to Safe Mode than Normal mode.

Finally, why are trying to boot to Safe Mode? What is the problem that prompted you to do this? That might help explain why you can't boot into Safe Mode.

6. 1mikeg

1mikeg Thread Starter

I have some persistent spyware that I will need to remove. In checking the forums regarding this process, i read that it will be necessary to start in safe mode. I was running through the steps prior to actually doing the removals. This is how i found the problem with the safe mode. I will have to restart into safe mode to see what the last line on the screen is and whether it is the same every time. I have started other computers in safe mode and while it does take longer to boot, the computers never froze. I did not look at the hard drive light, I only "thought" that the computer had froze due to the length of time it was taking to boot. I suppose I can just let it sit for a while to see if it does on fact complete booting. What would a reasonable amount of time be? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Thanks for your help!

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you've got spyware problems, I'd give it a considerable amount of time of drive inactivity before rebooting. 15-20 minutes at least.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!