1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe mode won't run.... blue screen appears

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lilfocus, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilfocus

lilfocus Thread Starter

I'm tryin to update my ATI radeon 9000 video driver
    what I've done so far/able to do ->
    ->Downloaded driver update
    ->Uninstall both the ATI driver and the ATI control panel

Finally I uninstall ATI radeon 9000 and have to restart my computer

When I try and run the computer in safe mode (hit F8 on the loading thang) It begins to load but then stops then after about 2-3 seconds a blue screen appears and have to restart to ->best known configuration...
    Can anyone help me update this driver

2. bobol

bobol

Do a system restore to see if it helps?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

What OS?
    My brother's machine (2k Pro) has exactly the same problem with a 9700. I will be looking into it this weekend.

4. physician

physician

The problem you have is that when you uninstall the vid drivers, you have no vid drivers and thus no vid so you get the bsod. What you can do is put your OS installation disk in before you reboot. When you reboot, you have to watch for the hit any key to boot from Cd option. Hit any key and the drivers from the disk will be loaded which includes a vid driver that will let you have video, and thus no bsod. Then you can go in and put those new drivers in...doc

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I beg to differ. Safe mode does not use any of the drivers. That is why this error is so puzzling.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice