1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe online scan?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by emp813, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emp813

emp813 Thread Starter

I'd like to personally hear from you guys if running an online bitdefender8 virus scan is safe. I mean is it really all that stuff they say it is?

I'm not exactly a guy that's easy to convince. the bitdefender website talks a lot of talk about their online scanner. so, how about it? is it safe to do so?

PS: i'm on my laptop. the OS is vista home premium. I've got norton internet security 2007 preinstalled. but I don't trust norton and I plan on removing it. But I'd like to try this online scanner of bitdefender, just to make sure norton didn't miss anything.

2. Jacee

Jacee

Yes, it's safe (y)

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

More than safe it's the best online scan going!

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Might also consider programs that don't have the restriction of requiring the computer be on-line just to do a scan. More than once seen problems where the symptom was that you couldn't get on the Internet. When that happens you can't run an on-line scan to remove it.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

The user here does not mention they cannot get online Bob, and the question was is this a safe scan to use. I always recommend online scans over onboard scans if the user can get online because the onboard scan, probably already let in the problem, so most likely will not find it anyway in the case of an infected computer.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Absolutely. The problem is when you are infected and can't get on-line to do a scan. That's when being able to scan off-line can be a benefit.

For example, if you are infected with spyware that prevents you from connecting to the Internet, you can't go an on-line scan to remove it. Not all that uncommon these days.

That's where the locally installed software typically can find the spyware (or virus) and remove it. That's what they are for. Certainly the on-line scan at that point doesn't even have a chance.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

As true as that is, please stop as you may confuse the user as what you are saying is totally irrelevant to the poster and the problem here, and you are causing a needless digression in my opnion..

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Oh gosh, would not want to confuse someone by explaining the benefits of being able to do a virus or spyware scan when you can't get on-line.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well you might be please stop saying that.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Saying what?

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thank you you did it!!!!!

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Or did you mean explaining a possible limitation of only relying on and on-line scan?

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Bob...shhhhhhhh. You made perfection don't ruin it!

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So emp813, back to you know that the confusion is cleared up.

As an additional plan, you might consider having a program that can scan for spyware and viruses loaded on your computer without needing to be on-line.

This way should either of those types of problems cause you to not be able to connect to the Internet, you will have an alternate method for removing them.

Hopefully that is easily understood by all, caused no confusion, and provided additional methods for removing spyware and viruses.

15. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Bob and Rich, I'm going to post this here in the open forums so there is no misunderstanding or confusion as to this "request."

Both of you need to put each other on ignore. If Bob is already involved in a thread, then I would ask that Rich avoid that thread. If Rich is already involved in a thread, I would ask the same of Bob.

Thanks in advance to the both of you :)

The moderators and other admin will be alerted to my request.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!