1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe Start and Restore have messed up my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kingsqueen, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingsqueen

kingsqueen Thread Starter

I have worked with computers for a few years but obviously I don't know enough about them. I was adding another user and when I tried to go back to my administrator user, I couldn't. I tried to run the computer in Safe Mode and apparently that is where I messed up. I tried a system restore to go back to an earlier date but that didn't help. The computer wouldn't even let me restore to Monday. (Today is Wednesday!) My step daughter was able to get online after I had several failed attempts. I am not sure what I did wrong, but I have lost all my pictures I had saved from the last 3 years!! That is major to me!! I love to take pictures and I love sharing them with family and friends. Now pictures I took this past weekend are gone!!! I have also lost my kids work projects and resumes for everyone in our family. I need to somehow retrieve these files.

Now for what you really need to know. I have an HP Pavilion Intel (R), Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHz. Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Obviously I have had this computer for a really loooooong time. I have only had trouble with it once and a friend of mine helped me with it. He has since moved and is unable to help me now.

I apparently posted this in the wrong thread earlier so I was told to post this here.

2. gfne

gfne

Click start, I believe there you will have search. In search, somewhere in there, there should be advanced search. Open that up, and do a search for *.jpg in the entire drive. See what you get.

3. kingsqueen

Thank you. I did that and I was able to retrieve many of my pics. Can you please, let me know any other domains that could be used for pictures. My mind is totally blank and I feel totally drained. I know I have many many more pictures in there but I have no idea what else I could search for to find them. I had labeled some of them with my children's names and did searches using their names earlier but didn't have any luck searching that way. Thank you for all your advice. I feel sooooo stupid for messing up like this!

4. gfne

gfne

*.gif, *.bmp, *.png If I think of any more, let you know.

5. gfne

gfne

Don't put them on the desktop again, put them on a usb flash, or a folder directly under C:\

6. kingsqueen

Thank you so much Greg. I will try those now. ;}

7. kingsqueen

I had them in my pictures. Before I could access it from start>my documents>my pictures... and I had an icon on the desktop with my pictures. It's just really irritating.

8. gfne

gfne

A new account keeps getting created I think. Because it can't open the old one.

9. kingsqueen

I forgot how many icons, logos, backgrounds, etc... etc... were stored on a computer. The ones I found were when I did the first search. If you can think of any other way I can dig the rest out, please, let me know. Thanks again for your help.

10. gfne

gfne

I'm looking for another way as we speak, but until then try this...

Open up my computer, your main drive (C:), documents and settings, [user profile].

You'll find multiple user profiles probably. Look through each one, find the documents, pictures etc etc...

11. kingsqueen

I did. It showed me the pictures I just found when I did the first *.jpg search. I went through all the users. I was hoping, still, that it would show several Admin users but it didn't. The pics I found when I did the *.jpg search, I have copied to the present Admin user.

12. gfne

gfne

Do not copy them inside the profile. Copy them to a folder directly under C: until you are certain the profiles are safe for storage.

13. kingsqueen

OK I will make sure I do that now! Thanks. ;}

14. kingsqueen

Done. That didn't take long. I have them in a couple folders directly on the C drive. I wasn't even thinking! Thanks again.

15. gfne

gfne

After that, create an empy text file of sorts, nothing fancy, just to log off and log back on to see if its still there to see if the profile is safe for storage.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice