1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe Start and System Restore ruined my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kingsqueen, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kingsqueen

kingsqueen Thread Starter

I have worked with computers for a few years but obviously I don't know enough about them. I was adding another user and when I tried to go back to my administrator user, I couldn't. I tried to run the computer in Safe Mode and apparently that is where I messed up. I tried a system restore to go back to an earlier date but that didn't help. The computer wouldn't even let me restore to Monday. (Today is Wednesday!) My step daughter was able to get online after I had several failed attempts. I am not sure what I did wrong, but I have lost all my pictures I had saved from the last 3 years!! That is major to me!! I love to take pictures and I love sharing them with family and friends. Now pictures I took this past weekend are gone!!! I have also lost my kids work projects and resumes for everyone in our family. I need to somehow retrieve these files.

Now for what you really need to know. I have an HP Pavilion Intel (R), Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80 GHz. Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. Obviously I have had this computer for a really loooooong time. I have only had trouble with it once and a friend of mine helped me with it. He has since moved and is unable to help me now.

2. maltasama

maltasama

kingsqueen, you should repost your problem in the XP forum where someone will see it. You are in the "Tech News" forum;)

3. kingsqueen

Thank you. I didn't realize I was in the wrong place. ;}

4. gfne

gfne

I've seen this before, the system can't load the old profile, so it keeps creating new ones.

Do a search (start, search, advanced search (somewhere in there)) for *.jpg in the whole drive.

5. kingsqueen

I can't seem to do an advanced search but I did a regular search for *.jpg. Thanks for all your help. I know everything is in there somewhere. I just hate that stupid me has to start over and I forgot everything I learned.

6. gfne

gfne

Because the regular search only searches for things that have been indexed. Perhaps its not called advanced search, take a look around.

7. paisanol69

paisanol69

..with your current problem, I will leave that help to others better than I with the xp operating system.

I would like to point out however, that you stated you have the XP operating system, with SP2 installed. You are aware that Microsoft does NOT support the xp operating system anymore, with regards to security updates, unless you have installed SP3, right??

Once you have this problem fixed, and ONLY after you have this problem resolved, I recommend that you visit the MS update website, and download SP3, it will plug many security issues for you. After you have installed SP3, then revisit the MS update website, and check for all outstanding security updates, there will be many of them.

Once again, do not upgrade until the current problem is resolved, there is a chance that upgrading to SP3 may cause more harm, if this problem you have now is not resolved first.
    Good Luck, and
    Merry Christmas!:D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice