Safe to remove hardware message missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Man

WinXP Home SP2
When I click on the tray icon for removing plugin hardware, I used to see a balloon tip message saying "Safe to remove hardware". I dont see this message anymore. How do I get it to display? Balloon tips are enabled and work ok for everything else.

Man

No solution offered at that link except :
"To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support"

Anyone know the solution?

As is so often the case with XP, I have found a workaround that I like better. Right click an open space of the desktop and select "New Shortcut." In the box that says "type the location..." paste:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
This shortcut offers better control than the original icon.
To try to repair the original icon employ Taskbar Repairtool Plus:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

I am sorry about that but there was a fix on that page and apparently Microsoft removed it. I will not give that fix out anymore. I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Man said:
WinXP Home SP2
When I click on the tray icon for removing plugin hardware, I used to see a balloon tip message saying "Safe to remove hardware". I dont see this message anymore. How do I get it to display? Balloon tips are enabled and work ok for everything else.
What devices? Does it appear for any devices? If you are using a flash drive, it is normal for many of them since they use no cache and can be removed at any time.

Man

Elvandil said:
What devices? Does it appear for any devices? If you are using a flash drive, it is normal for many of them since they use no cache and can be removed at any time.
This is for an external USB hard drive. The message used to come up before but for some reason its gone now. ? registry entry problem

Take a look at the drive in Device Manager. The reason for the icon is that for drives that are optimized for performance rather than easy removal, there is the danger of cached data not being dumped to the disk before removal. If it is optimized for quick removal, the cache is turned off.

Man

Elvandil said:
Take a look at the drive in Device Manager. The reason for the icon is that for drives that are optimized for performance rather than easy removal, there is the danger of cached data not being dumped to the disk before removal. If it is optimized for quick removal, the cache is turned off.
It is not optimized for easy removal and yet the message does not appear when I click on the icon. What happens is that when I click on the icon once, nothing happens; then when I click on it again, the icon disappears. But no message saying "safe to remove"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online