Safe to remove hardware message missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

em21

I just joined this forum. I was giving this link by a someone in XP Newsgroops.

There was previously a post with the same problem I have, but the thread ended without a solution. So I joined to see if I have better luck.

WinXP Home SP3.
When I click on the tray icon for removing plugin hardware, I used to see a balloon tip message saying "Safe to remove hardware". That message stopped appearing 2 days ago. Any ideas what made it stop, and how I can get it back?

When I click the icon in the system tray, I get the choices of what I want to stop, but when I click the desired device, it just dissapears with no, safe to remove message.

Any advice will be appreciated

Edith

Right-click the Start button, select Properties, Taskbar tab, then select the Customize... button. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select
either Hide when inactive or Always show, but NOT Always hide.

One question:Does it show any other messages when you stop the device?Like it cannot be stopped or something similar?

Then perhaps the flash drive is infected.You should download Flash disinfector, disinfect your flash drive and try again.

Regards.

em21

Thanks Pranav, but I don't have any problems with the icon. It's the "safely remove software" message I used to get that I'm missing.

I will wait to download anything like the Flash dessinfector you mention as a last resort. First I would like to know what may have cause the message to stop appearing so I can reverse it. Or if anybody knows how to troubleshoot around to make it come back.

I don't get any error messages or anything. On the other hand, if it's not safe to remove, I do get a message that says so.

Thanks,
Edith

em21

Thanks, I will keep the site handy for now. First, I want to see if there if I can find out what caused the message to stop appearing, and if there is something I can click to get it back.

Thanks,
Edith

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you're still getting the message that it's NOT safe to remove ...
The Kelly's corner fix will probably not work.
This enables or disables all messages.

Is this for all external devices .. Do you have more than one ??

I've had to repair my Balloons on rare occasions .. No known reason why.
I'm wondering if SP3 started this problem.
I refuse to do SP3

em21

<<<<I've had to repair my Balloons on rare occasions .. No known reason why.
I'm wondering if SP3 started this problem.
I refuse to do SP3. Noyb.

>>>>Well, I'm loosing hope of finding an answer to my question. I was ready to try the downloads now. But, if you say the Kelly wouldn't do me any good, then I won't bother.

I have several external devices that I use frequently. An external drive, an external disc writer that I use for the LightScribe, digital camera, memory cards, etc.

Please, if anybody have any suggestions, I'm open to try just about anything. Someone in another forum told me that as long as I don't get a "don't remove message" when I click the icon, it is OK to remove. But, I still would like my ballon message back. If it was there once, there has to be a way to get it back without having to format and reload the whole system again.

I had SP3 long before this problem started, so I don't think that's the culprit.

Thanks,
Edith in Wisconsin

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You might try the Kelly fix ... I don't think it can hurt anything ...
It might fix the registry .. If that's where the problem is.

em21

Thank you Tufenuf and Pranav.

I was so excited when I read about this hotfix. I describes my problem to the letter. I couldn't wait to download it. But, it didn't work. I downloaded, but the problem persists. Sorry fellows. Maybe it'll work when it comes in the software update.

Thanks a lot for the effort.

Edith

Edith, If you have Tweak UI installed open it and click on "Taskbar and Start Menu" and make sure that "Enable balloon tips" is checkmarked, click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

em21

Tufenuf, could you tell me what is Tweek UI. I'm not sure if I have it or not.

Thanks,
Edith

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
FYI ...I like TweakUI ..
Because it lets me turn off some of the autostart screens that I don't need or want to wait on.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online