1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe Virus free transfer to new hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by KathieQ, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KathieQ

KathieQ Thread Starter

Hi I have two computers running Windows 98 and are running on a simple peer to peer network. I have Spybot on both and Norton on one and McAfee on the other. Both virus programs appear to be running correctly. However something has got in and caused major problems on both computers. So we decided to buy new hard drives with windows 2000. I purchased an iomega hard drive to store the files to transfer to the new machines. Is it possible to transfer the virus from the back up files to the new machine? The files I really don;t want to lose or have to do over are a large genealogy file - gedcom - and census transcriptions I have been working on - Excell. My neighbor who knows more about computers than I do thinks whatever it is is hiding in the boot sector. Also are emails dangerous to transfer to the new machines? I don't want the old probems in the new machines.
    Thanks

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You should find out what is causing the problem before you make any attempt to put the new drives in either machine. If it IS a boot sector virus, just adding the new disk and starting the machine will infect the new disk. If you have already backed up the files to the Zip drive, that could be infected as well.
    First disconnect the machines from each other. Then you should do the full system check thing, making sure you have the latest versions and updating them as well.
    You need Spybot (already have but update). Update the Mcafee and Norton definitions and do a full scan with those. Then disable them and Install AVG free and update and do a full scan with that (some scanners catch what others miss). You can also try Adaware or Microsofts new one on trial, and you should run Hijack This on both after all the above and post the results.
    If nothing is found, you should ask someone very nicely if they will very carefully check the current disks in their machine as some viruses disable virus scanning on the machine. You should also check the Zip disk if you have even connected it.
    Saved Emails etc should be scanned by the above so they should be safe (but can someone confirm that saved emails ARE checked in a full virus scan)

3. tracer357#1

tracer357#1 Banned

as advised to correct the problem before moving to other things.
    have you tried to run your virus protection program and any spyware
    program in safe mode?
    if not it would be a good idea to run them and also run scandisk also.
    try this web site and run this free online virus scan this should help
    remove some if not all virus that you might have on your system.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

also this is a very good spyware program that can be downloaded that
    will help remove any spyware that you might have on your system.

http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet

oh btw before you run scandisk in safe mode disable any other programs
    that are running so they do not interfere with the process.

see if this helps.

4. KathieQ

KathieQ Thread Starter

Thank you to all who replied. I should explain that I am not opening the box and changing anything, I am buying the whole new box, keeping the monitor, keyboard and printer. I can reload all the software and just upload specific files. Example Excell spreadsheet would be uploaded but not the Excell program.
    Do I still need to find the problem or can I just scan the files off the Iomega.

I have run Sypbot, Antivirus, disconected both machines and run the defragmenter, rerun these programs and rerun them and they are not finding anything. A friend downloaded stinger and found and removed some things.
    But I only have a connection to the internet on one machine. If anything it has made things worse.

sorry I went to work this morning after posting and did not realize anyone would respond so quickly.
    Thanks

5. acameron

acameron

You really should find out what us causing the problem 1st before transfering anything. I thought I was having hard drive problems on my pc. I had run Spy-bot,ad-aware, Norton 2003 and a free online scan deleted / fixed eveything they found and I still had the same problems. I assumed the hard drive was going bad, so I backed up everything i wanted to keep to my small secondary drive, bought and installed a new 80 gb drive (threw away the old 40gb drive) reinstalled my backed up files, within 2 days I had all of he same poblems again. turned out to be a virus hiding in the master boot record. I got rid of the virus and I am back up and running. as it turns out there probably wasn't anything wrong with the other drive and now its at the dump somewhere, I just didn't know what to look for at the time. :eek:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice