1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safe way to hide IP address?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by *Samantha*, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *Samantha*

*Samantha* Thread Starter

You guys are gonna be so happy -- I bought a new laptop a month ago, the HP Pavilion dv5120. It's the greatest thing I've ever had my paws on, believe me. So, no more nagging problems w/ the old laptop anymore.

Here's my question: Is there software that will hide/change/scramble my IP address? It's gotta be safe -- I don't want to infect my baby.

Many thanks, you guys. YOU are the greatest, too!

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Why do you want to do that?
    And, hide it from whom?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

"Hiding" your IP address does not keep your baby safe. You need firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware software, and a good dose of common sense.

4. lister

lister

If it's for Privacy, you could give TOR a try

http://tor.eff.org/

Probably not much use if the CIA are on your case though!:rolleyes:

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

running behind a router helps but isn't foolproof.

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

How does a router hide your IP address?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Gee Brendan, you beat me to that question. :D

8. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Sometimes you know what you need to post before you even open the thread :D

9. kombat75

kombat75

U are wasting everybody TIME :)

10. *Samantha*

Well, kombat75! I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time. IF IT'S ANYONE'S BUSINESS, I wanted to read my son's blog. He hasn't spoken to me since he received his Christmas gifts (we live several states apart) via FedEx last December because the New Girlfriend dislikes me. (She has now succeeded in separating him from every single member of his family at this writing.) His counter on his blog reports each and every visiting IP. I would like to be able to peek into my only child's life, and w/out him knowing it so he won't either shut down his blog or change the address. I thought you were the guys to ask as you'd been so very helpful in the past when I had problems w/ spyware, etc. I do indeed have the following: "firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware software, and a good dose of common sense," to say the least. My apologies for bothering you people w/ nothing quite as exciting as CIA or DOD business.

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Tor or iPig will work. Basically they are proxy servers that bounce your connection around the internet before it gets to it intended destination. Your Internet Surfing will be slow with this as well.
    http://www.iopus.com/ipig/

You could also set yourself up with a CosmoPod account and surf from that connection.
    http://www.cosmopod.com/

13. chm3

chm3

There is a software called Hide IP, however I think it is a shareware.

14. *Samantha*

I appreciate your help. I'm just sorry I had to air my dirty laundry ... It embarrassed me.

15. *Samantha*

I forgot to mention I have a dial up connection -- and before anyone asks, I'll just tell you: I live seven miles outside a small town, and my ranch is bordered on three sides by a State Forest. Dial up is the only thing that's available, but I'm thankful I'm able to access the internet at all. My question is, do these work w/ dial up? I took a quick glance at iPig and it mentioned wireless.

Many thanks for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484067