1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

safely remove hardware/hard drive options

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by .:Timo:., Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. .:Timo:.

.:Timo:. Thread Starter

i have just reinstalled vista premium on my computer and now i have the safely remove hardware icon in my notification area for my 2 HDD, 2 DVD drives and my 5 in 1 card reader. i don't what this option as I'm worried that ill select my OS disc instead of my ipod when removing it. does anyone know how to do this?
    also does anyone know how to rename my second HDD from K: to another letter. it used to be j: before reinstalling vista now i have to explore the k:. if i double click it use to asks 2 insert a disc into the j:. if you view the attachments you will see the right click options that are not normally associated with hard drives.
    thanks for you help :D

Attached Files:

2. jdean

jdean

For your second problem, here's how to change the drive letter in XP, hoping that it works similarly in Vista:

Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

In the Disk Management panel, find your drive, right click, select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and then select the drive letter.

3. jdean

jdean

Don't have a solution for the first problem, but it sounds as if it's not unusual. I found this an article that talks about the issue but the solution seems complicated (if it works):

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html
    (scroll down to "Remove non removable drives from the "Safely remove hardware" list")

4. .:Timo:.

Thanks for the effort you have put in but sadly renaming the drive didn't help. it treats the drive as "software and games". its a strange. all these problems came from reinstalling vista. someone must have had the same problem!
    the link was no help ether, although i don't use regedit much i couldnt change the values that i was told to.it was like i wasn't an administrator.
    I'll just keep looking

5. .:Timo:.

i fixed my hard drive problem by removing it then when i put it back in i reset the defalts in the BIOS.
    just the problem with the safely remove hardware list!

6. .:Timo:.

i have found a program that replaces windows safely remove hardware with its own icon and better still you can hide any drive you like with out editing the registry. comes with a unlimited 30 day trial so will need to be bought at some point if you cant edit the registry for reasons like myn (not having permission).
    http://atomican.net
    thanks for all the help, hope this saves someone some time!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do understand that with vista you can hide the icon correct?

Next it is there because your system supports hot swapping of the drives so windows shows the remove icon. How do you have your sata controller mode set? Do you have it set to standard or native ide or are you using ahci?

8. .:Timo:.

how do you hide the icon?

i dont know, do you choose the mode in the bios?
    all i know is that its not raid and the controller is NVIDIA nForce sata controller

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Hot swapping is a feature of the nforce chipset. As to your bios, read your manual. Every bios is different and it is almost impossible to give you detailed instructions. If you had selected the native ide or standard ide mode, you would probably not have the hot swapping feature.

To see the options for the info area, right click the task bar>properties>notification area.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last item, you have installed the chipset/mb drivers correct?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice