1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safely Remove Hardware icon for Video Card

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Ziggy587, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

Hey everybody. I'm having a silly problem on my Mom's computer that I built. The Safely Remove Hardware icon is in the taskbar for the PCIe video card. I've Googled this problem and found others that are getting this not only for video cards but for other hardware that shouldn't be removed as well (ex: internal hard drives). The only "fixes" that have been suggested (that I came across) is to hide the icon or disable the feature. This isn't a real fix in my book.

Computer specs:
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    Biostar P4M900-M4
    4GB RAM, 500GB SATA HDD
    nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
    Enermax 300w PSU
    P4 3.2GHz CPU

So the story is, I put in a GeForce 8400 GS a while back and it was working fine for a while. Then one day, I noticed the Safely Remove Hardware icon for the 8400. A while later, my brother removed the card and switched it back to the on board video. I forget the exact reason he said he needed to switch it. Fast forward to present now, I got my Mom a new hard drive and while I was installing it I figured I'd put the 8400 back in and see what happens. I installed Vista, updated, and installed the latest drivers from nVidia. Everything was working fine, no remove hardware icon in the system tray.

Then, directly after the reboot from the SP2 update, the Safely Remove Hardware icon appeared in the system tray for the video card. Amazing. So after some Google searches, I found one other person that said he got the Safely Remove Hardware icon for his video card after the installation of SP2. So I'm pretty sure there was something in SP2 that is causing this bug. In my searches, some one said they contacted Microsoft about this, who put the blame on the video card manufacture. The video card manufacture then put the blame on the motherboard.

I have done a few simple tests to try and fix this, but to no avail. First, I rolled backed the driver so that I can reinstall the latest driver from nVidia again. When I did the roll back, Windows Update immediately popped up with a driver for the card, so I decided to install that one. I did, and the Safely Remove Hardware icon returned.

Next I decided to swap the card out for an old ATI x300 I had lying around. I installed the x300 and let Windows install the drivers for it. The Safely Remove Hardware icon was now showing the x300. So I put the 8400 back in for now (still has the SRH icon). I also checked the motherboard manufacture's website for BIOS updates. There's only one update, and it only has something to do with an audio codec.

If I remove the video card and use the onboard VGA the Safely Remove Hardware icon goes away. The onboard video is pretty bad though, which is the reason I got the card. I want to have a video card in the computer, but I don't want my Mom to accidentally hit the option to remove the card. I'm pretty sure it will remove the driver if you select it.

Is there anyway I can fix this? Or will I have to wait for Microsoft to release an update patch to fix this (assuming it's their fault)?

Thanks!

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

just a thought, have you tried updating your chipset driver?

3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Thread Starter

No, I have not. I'll try that now and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

edit: I downloaded the chipset drivers from the Biostar website but got errors when trying to install it. I'll have to make another attempt at it later.

edit: I went ahead and updated the BIOS anyway. Made no difference, the SRH icon is still there for the video card. I can't seem to install the chipset drivers though. I downloaded the install package from Biostar, it comes as a self-extracting file. I double click on it, it extracts, then nothing. I've tried manually extracting all the files and clicking on the setup.exe but I get an error message. It says "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime." Maybe I can manual install the drivers from Device Manager.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!