"Safely Remove Hardware" icon missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwilmot

I have a DELL 8100 with WIN XP Pro installed. Recently the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the sys-tray has disappeared. How can I retrieve it and, in the meantime, can I safely disconnect USB equipt. without first shutting down?

Usually there is never an issue with disconnecting USB devices from the computer

I'm not sure how to set the icon to show up

Try this first.
Right-click the notification area, and select Properties.
Under the Notification area heading on Taskbar tab, check Hide inactive icons, then click Customize button.
Find and select Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always show
in the dropdown below the Behavior column next to it.
Click OK and Apply.
Uncheck Hide inactive icons.

If this doesn't work, try the following suggestion. It will sometime recover the lost icon.
Safely Removing Hardware When the Icon Is Gone

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
We have had this subject in the past on the forums. I remember replying in it. I just can't find the thread.

With the external drive plugged in, right click the drive in the folders list, then left click Properties and Hardware.

Left Click the name of the external drive in this list, then click Properties and Policies. This takes you to the "Write caching and safe removal page". The default position in my XP is "Optimize for quick removal" not "Optimize for performance" as implied by Freecom and Microsoft.

You can put the icon in the notification area by clicking the underlined "Safely Remove Hardware" on this page

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online