1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"safely remove hardware" icon missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sac02, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sac02

sac02 Thread Starter

Hello all,

After using my USB memory stick this evening, I went to the taskbar to click the "safely remove hardware" icon, only to find it was not there. I restarted the computer (my catch-all trouble shooting method) and still did not get an icon when I inserted the USB drive. I also tried plugging in my iPod and got no icon. (Note: the flash drive and iPod function perfectly fine, it's just the "safely remove hardware' icon that's missing - annoying) Did I inadvertantly change some sort of setting or something? Help...

The computer is an HP PCm7250n running XP mediacenter edition, the flash drive in question is a SanDisk cruzer micro.

Thanks,

Mac

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Until somebody with more knowledge of this comes along, try ...

Right click empty part of taskbar - Properties - Taskbar tab - Customize (Notification Area) - find 'Safely Remove Hardware.' If it is "always hide" then click on it and change it to what you want. If it's not there my guess is that something got messed up in the registry. You might try a system restore to a date when it was working.

3. Augie65

Augie65

Try this:
    Open My Computer and right click on the removable drive and select Properties> Hardware tab> Properties> Policies tab and tick the radio button: Optimize for performance.

4. sac02

sac02 Thread Starter

ugh, neither of those worked - any other suggestions?

Mac

5. jamsheed

jamsheed

Hi Guys
    I have the same problem and i did tried the guidlines that i found in this page but it didnt worked.
    Any other Idea PLZ
    Thanks

6. 1101doc

1101doc

This seems to be some sort of glitch in XP itself. The most common "fix" is to clear the box for "hide inactive icons" in the Taskbar>Properties dialog. This often does not work if the icon has already gone completely missing unless the user logs off and then back on.(not reboot-log off) This also is not a sure fix. Many users report good results from the Taskbar Repair Tool: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm It worked for me.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!