"Safely Remove Hardware" icon on my task bar

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

misterpink

I always have this damn "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on my task bar. For some reason the damn XP OS wants me to disconnect my printer and cd drive? Is there a way to get rid of this?

Can we assume they are USB connected?

If so, you need to "stop" the service usually, via the "safely remove hardware" icon. Double click on it to give the dialogue box.

If you dont wish to see it, then set your task bar icons to only display those you wish to display, and hide the rest (right click on Start - properties - Taskbar - Customise)

Anne Troy

Anne
Title changed.
Moved to appropriate forum.

misterpink...we're pretty clean around here.
Cussin' is done in the Random forum, if at all.
:D

The only time I've seen this (in the sys tray) is for PCMCIA devices that are currently plugged in. What type of machine do you have? OS?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, the "safely remove hardware" Icon appears whenever you have a removable mass storage device connected. I see it whenever I connect a FLASH reader, USB hard disk, USB CD-RW drive, etc. It's perfectly normal, and the way to get rid of it is not to connect those devices to your computer.

Of course, if it's appearing when it shouldn't, a lot more detail than "printer and cd drive" would be required to make a guess as to the reason. :)

I also have the annoying icon in my systems tray. I customized it to "NEVER SHOW".

What annoys me and troubles about it is that either selecting it or right-clicking it results the same. IT PROCEEDS WITH THE ACTION OF REMOVING THE HARDWARE, WITHOUT GOING THROUGH A DIALOG BOX INFORMING ME THAT I AM DOING THIS.

That sucks! Placing a button there that I may accidentally press, while it's a direct command to remove the device.

It's the same with the shortcut I made to my network connection. At Control Panel> Network and Internet Connections> Network Connections, I made a shortcut to be placed on the desktop. When I select this icon (left-click) I get the automatic response of on or off. If it was on, it turn off and otherwise. I can right-click the icon and chooser on/off (pending) or "status."

Mainly I hat how the modem shows up there and I may risk an accidental click.

Michael S.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Mine allows me to disconnect it, perhaps there is something wrong with your configuration...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online