1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"safely remove hardware" problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jtn3833, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

When I plug in a thumb drive or my external hard drive for backups everything goes smoothly. But when I try to disengage it by bringing up the "safely remove hardware" screen from the little icon in my sys tray about half the time I try and "stop" one of those devices I get the warning that it cannot be stopped now, and to try again later.
    The drive is not in use or anything but I still get the warning... I've heard it's bad to unplug a thumb drive before "safely removing" it but sometimes I have no other option. Is there something about this that I'm missing? And how bad is it to just unplug the thing?

Thanks,
    JTN

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Sometimes there is no other choice other than to remove the drive. I occassionally run into the same problem. If you have anything important on the drive save it to a desktop folder and reformat the drive. I reformat mine every 3 or 4 months and it seems to help with that problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!