Safely Remove Hardware

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Methodic

There are a few users for this computer (we all use the same account however) so I'm not sure exactly who changed what, but I've noticed an icon in the taskbar that wasn't there previously. A little icon for the safely remove hardware option, left clicking it brings up the option to safely remove Maxtor 6hi60m0 - Drive C:.

I tried double clicking it, going it to Properties > Policies > And selected the Optimize for Performance option ( it was set to optimize for quick removal) but the icon stays in the taskbar which is annoying enough in itself, but I have noticed a decrease in speed when accessing files on my computer since this happened. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for it and that's about all i could think of doing as I'm not particularly knowledgeable with computer troubleshooting. I'd just like to have this changed back to how it was previously if that's possible.

I'm running windows xp home edition with service pack 2 on an AMD Athlon 64 Machine with a Maxtor 6Y1M0M0 HD, if there's anyt other information I can supply, I'd be more than happy to, just let me know, thanks in advance.

Methodic

Yes I just looked it up on their website and it is a SATA drive, what does that lead you to believe?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is an issue with some SATA drivers that causes that. My new AMD 64-X2 system has SATA RAID, and the two drives appear as removable. I'm currently looking for a solution to that as well. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts