Safer computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bruinator

Banned
Hi, Just trying to get some opinions out here to keep my computer safe. I was wondering what people run on there computer. I have avast, zone alarm, XP firewall. I also run ad aware and spybot S & D each once a week. Is that enough or should I do more. I appreciate any opinions.

Great Free programs but anti spyware does not run in the background and since spyware is the biggest problem of today, do you think it is the best idea to let everything in then scan and take it out? You see you cannot keep it out without a paid program. Perosnally, I woule never consider my pc protected with free software.
I recommend Nod32 for antivirus and Superantispyware to prevent spyware.
www.nod32.com www.superantispyware.com

A couple more suggestions; when downloading a given program, scroll down the EULA (end user license agreement) and be sure that there aren't any unwanted add-ons to the program. This often is how unwanted and troublesome toolbars get added to a browser.

Suggestion 2; you already have SpyBot S+D, look into adding the 'hostfile' option to your computer: http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ss/hosts_4.htm

DoubleHelix

Banned
In the case of a "safe" computer, the best defense is a good offense. Smart computing will making running any utility a non-issue. Don't visit disreputable sites, download from P2P networks, or open unknown attachments.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online