1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Safety in sharing DSL modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by makada, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. makada

makada Thread Starter

I have a DSL internet connection at home.
    My modem is Thomson Speedtouch 585(i).
    I have disabled the WiFi for security reasons (some very smart computer guys stay in the neighborhood).
    Out of the four ethernet points on the modem two are connected to my desktop and my laptop respectively. The third I have given it to my neighbour. The fourth is unused.

Someone at work suggested that sharing the internet connection with my neighbour may land me in soup one day, because if he does anything illegal via the internet, then that transaction will be traced back to me!!!
    He suggested I install some Software to track the ip addresses passing through my modem.
    Is it really needed to install such a software?
    If yes, can you please suggest any software which tracks the ip addresses through my modem.

2. jdean

jdean

If you share your connection, it also means that your neighbor is on your local internet and may be able to access to your computers. Given the potential issues with illegal activities, I suggest that you should NOT share an internet connection with anyone unless you trust them.

Logging software, assuming you can even find it without purchasing another network appliance, will be at best marginal protection. When cracking down on illegal computer activities, the police tend to grab everything and then ask questions later. "Presumed innocent" doesn't apply to hardware.

If you decide not to trust your neighbor, you can tell them that your internet provider doesn't allow multiple households to share a connection (in fact, if you read your contract, you'll probably find a clause saying just that).

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're violating the terms of service of your ISP. Asking for help with such activity violates forum rules so don't be overly surprised if/when this gets a Closed sign.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's getting that closed sign right now. Time for you to read the TSG Rules, we don't assist in this kind of activity.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'd like to know how he gave the 3rd port on his router to his neighbor to begin with????? :confused:

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As a follow up, I received a private message from the poster indicating that he doesn't live in the U.S. and where he is, sharing is legal.

We are located in the U.S. and base our rules and laws here. Thanks for the private message, hope that clears things up.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I got the same message and gave the same response. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice