1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Salvaging data from trashed NT

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MyeyesHurt, Sep 18, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyeyesHurt

MyeyesHurt Thread Starter

Hey people, just a little hint in case this hasn't been posted here before... [​IMG]
    Last week one of our developers installed a defunctified version of their software onto his machine which completely trashed it.
    There was NO way to get into it...booting from a DOS diskette was useless because all of his partitions were NTFS.
    I thought of installing NT on one of his partitions, but that would involve formatting a partition, all of which had critical info.
    Then BOOM, I remembered how Win2000 installs without automatically formatting anything, so I installed w2k, transferred all his data to another machine, then wiped his computer out and reinstalled his workstation, as if nothing ever happened...well except for me working on a saturday, grrr.
    Peace.

2. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

Good for you. Now let me tell you of an easier way: Download NTFSdos from www.sysinternals.com

It is an NTFS driver for DOS. Let's you mount NTFS drives in DOS 6.22 and lets you read from them (the full version that you have to pay for, allows you to read AND write to NTFS drives). So, what you could have done was put in your favourite bootdisk (or download mine from www.xperts.co.za/reuel/multiboot - it comes with NTFSdos) and save your data through good old DOS.

Also, NT4 does not need to format a HD when it installs.

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!