1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SAM error on Win2k DC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PB1856, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PB1856

PB1856 Thread Starter

I am receiving the following error in the system event viewer on a new win2k DC.

SAM Error 16650>The account-identifier allocator failed to initialize properly. The record data contains the NT error code that caused the failure. Windows 2000 will retry the initialization until it succeeds; until that time, account creation will be denied on this DC. Please look for other SAM event logs that may indicate the exact reason for the failure.

This was originally an NT PDC, then upgraded to Win2k. It was then rebuilt with a fresh install of Win2k server on it.

I have had no luck in searching for a possible resolution, so any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

When it was upgraded to w2k, did you upgrade the domain to "native mode"? I assume from your post that there are other DCs in this domain, but you did not state whether or not there are NT clients and the need for a PDC emulator in the domain. You may need to "seize" the PDC emulator role,and any other role that was orphaned, to another DC if you wiped the DC that was acting as the PDC without transfering that role first. I have not seen indications that when a DC that was the first w2k DC in a domain, meaning it assumes most of the special roles (PDC emulator, Domain Naming Master, schema master, etc) is removed, that those roles are automatically picked up by another DC.

These are just thoughts related to DCs and rebuilding them, hope it helps!

3. Jest8

Jest8

This might help you out (a copied posting from a MS forum)

4. PB1856

PB1856 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info so far guys. At first I thought maybe when I rebuilt the initial DC, that I "lost" all the FMSO roles that it was responsible for. So I ran ntdsutil and tried to sieze the PDC emulator, etc and it came back telling me that the DC was already responsible for it. So no luck there.

So then just followed through the last possible suggestion and that doesn't apply to my situation, as the Domain Controllers have the 3 necessary security permissions.

So back to the drawing boards....

Incedently, I am receiving this exact same error in event viewer on both DCs.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice