1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

samantha jan win 98 sec ed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by samantha jan, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samantha jan

samantha jan Thread Starter

I really am new at computers and I have changed the font size, icon size, and colors. I can't get to the apply part to change it back. The things are too big. I don't know what to do. Also some of my task bar buttons are gone etc. back, refresh, the whole line. I know just enough to be dangerous I guess. Don't laugh please. What do I do?

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I simple registry restore is the easiest way to get you back to square one. How many days has it been since you changed those things? Has the PC been started up each day since?

The other option is to use the Tab key and Enter key to get to Apply.

3. samantha jan

it has been three days since I changed everything .. I have gotten back on several times since then .. I don't have a restore button on my top screen where file, edit, view etc are listed. How can I tab to apply if I don't see apply on screen? It's too big. Where else can I look for restore?

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Restart the PC and when it's booting up, before the W98 splash screen appears, start tapping the F8 key. You should have a menu with 6 options appear. Take the option for "Command Prompt Only". Once you have a command prompt, type in the following and press enter. Note, there's a space after scanreg before the "/".

scanreg /restore

Now use the up/down arrow keys to choose a registry dated the day you made the changes. Don't go too far back you want to choose the one dated the day you made the changes. Press enter and follow the prompts to restore it.

Let us know what happens.

5. samantha jan

I tried restarting my pc several times . It went right on and connected to windows as I tapped on F8 the whole time. I really appreciate your help. Samantha

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Insert a blank floppy diskette and restart the PC. You should get an error saying "Invalid System Disk, Press Any Key to Continue". REMOVE the diskette and tap the F8 key. See if it boots to the menu that way.

7. samantha jan

I will have to get floppy disks .. I have none. Thanks, I will try this tomorrow and get back with you.. You are great for helping me. Another question I would like you to think about is this: I tried to install a printer and it asks me to put disk win 98 sec ed in and when I do it says the disk doesn't have file "DMCOLORDLL' on it.

8. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Hi, not sure if you still need help but if you've been using the PC since your last post here and it's been restarted everyday, you don't have any registry backups to fall back on any longer since it only saves a rolling 5 days of backups. If that's the case, the advice I gave you won't work any longer. Hope you've resolved it in some other way ... I was hoping to use the Restore because it would get all of the settings you changed back to scratch rather than just changing the screen size but if you still need help, let us know and we'll see if we can help you use specific key strokes to get the screen back to a normal size. Your other option would be to boot to SafeMode and try to change it there. You would boot into SafeMode by going to the same boot menu I tried to get you to boot to.

9. john1

john1

Hi Samantha,

please find attached zip file of dmcolor.dll

John :)

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice