1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samba Server showing on my network!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by s1lly, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. s1lly

s1lly Thread Starter

Hi guys,

If someone could give me some advice on the following I would be most grateful.

I have just setup a wireless network at home and secured it with 128BIT WEP,
    changed the admin password etc so it's fairly secure yet I seem to have a little
    problem. When clicking on view workgroup computers I see MSHOME which
    is the default network that I have but also have another workgroup called BT, which inside
    this is something called Samba Server (Thomson). This leads to me think
    that someone is using my network.

I have switched off my router and changed passwords and weps etc but to no avail,
    it went away and now it's back. It is definitely nothing to do with me as I dont have
    Linux installed and have def not setup a samba server.

Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect the Samba Server (Thompson) is actually an embedded server in some TCP/IP device you have connected to your network. Please enumerate ALL the devices connected to the network. :)

3. s1lly

s1lly Thread Starter

We have my laptop my girlfriends desktop and thats it, nothing else is connected according to the details on the router. So a total of 2 devices connected to the router. I have checked devices using the router and it is only showing our 2 PC's.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since it is another entire workgroup showing up - "workgroup called BT" - Do you see this if you:

1. Turn the wireless off on the router.
    2.Turn of the router
    3. Turn off the computers
    4. Restart the computers

Then if it doesn't come back, then turn on the router.
    If it still doesn't come back, then re-enable the wiress
    If it comes back, then make some changes to your wireless security.

5. jackdw

jackdw

They have a BT Home hub as I do myself.

That runs on linux which samba server is a part of. You can plug in a memory stick or external USB hard drive into it and it will be able to tranfer files under that samba server. If you plan to, only use FAT/FAT32. As it runs on linux it cannot read NTFS.

6. jmwills

jmwills

I was about to say that it must be some sort of storage device. My Buffalo device show as the same way.

7. JohnWill

See Post #2. :)

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

jackdw,

It's good to know the specifics on this. Looks like in searching internet, there are actually some concerns about that router having Linux incorporated into it. Even some hacks to allow it to be used on different networks.

9. JohnWill

Many devices run on Linux, I have two different NAS boxes that use Linux, as well as my TiVo, and a MediaGate MG-35 media server. This is a very common embedded system for "appliance" network devices.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes, absolutely.

And thanks to jackdw, we now know that in this case it was the router itself.

11. s1lly

s1lly Thread Starter

Interesting reading guys! Thank you very much for your advice.

12. Virtual Steve

Virtual Steve

As the thread of the notes helped me I thought I would contribute by joining and advising as follows:

I have a BT Home Hub and I have just installed McAfee Security Centre, which identified a device called Thomson, with details type Samba Server and its IP address.

If you look at your network devices in Windows you will find the IP address and the physical address of the BT Hub.
    If you open the DOS command line and type tracert "IP address" you will see one hop of about 1ms and the device physical adddress.
    If you do the same trace route for the Samba Server, you should find it is one Hop of less than 1ms with a physical address near identical to the BT Hub.

Thus they are in the same place and are probably the same device.

Best Regards

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice