1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Same Bluetooth dongle on new PC not behaving as on old PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kevin1975, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kevin1975

Kevin1975 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I had an older Lenovo Desktop pc running Windows 7 Home Premium and 8GB of ram with no built in Bluetooth. I bought a Medialink Bluetooth Adapter - USB to Bluetooth 4.0 - Class 2 Smart Ready Adapter with Low Energy Technology. This setup worked beautifully. No real issues I couldn't figure out. I could walk around my whole (small) apartment and have perfect audio. This PC died of a power surge.

I bought a new PC here.

I plugged the dongle in and the audio is terrible. It will barely let me walk 10 feet before breaking up severely. It even breaks up if I put something in the way of the headphones; drinking coffee for instance. This is extremely annoying when trying to watch a video and then the audio screws up and is then out of sync. I figured I would need some drivers so I contacted the dongle's retailer. They gave me a link to
    http://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=2. I downloaded the Windows 7 64bit. Installed those and I've had no real difference; audio still cuts out. I have also tried using a different USB port. I am using a BT keyboard and mouse with no noticeable performance loss. I was using the same setup RE BT mouse, keyboard, and headphones, on the dead PC According to the Kinivo; the manufacturer of the headphones, there are no drivers for the headphones; they come from whatever the dongle it is you are using. Explanation on their website here.

Am I missing something stupid and simple here? A PC with with much more capabilities can't run the BT dongle the old PC could run? Seems silly.

2. ashrich

ashrich

Was the bluetooth dongle plugged in to the old PC when it died , might have been damaged during the power surge ...

Ashley

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  4. Kevin1975

Kevin1975 Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I have two of theses devices; so I tried swapping them with no luck.

Although I agree it is in fact a possibility; I don't see how a newer more powerful machine would make a dongle less effective.

Thanks again, Kevin.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1170635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice