1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Same IP in 2 different locations

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lukeoc707, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lukeoc707

Lukeoc707 Thread Starter

Hi All, hopefully somebody can help me.

There are several bars in my area owned by the same company, but geographically they are all at least 10 miles apart. But they 2 of them have the same public I.P address. I originally assumed they would have static I.P addresses as they are small businesses. The only link I have between the 2 locations is that they are owned by the same company, and use the same free wifi page (when you try and connect) to log you in.

Could somebody please explain, 1. How is it possible for 2 totally separate locations to use the same public I.P address and 2. Does this mean the I.P is static or dynamic?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How and what steps are you taking to check for these IP addresses?

3. Lukeoc707

Lukeoc707 Thread Starter

I was login into my Microsoft account. Whenever you log into your Microsoft account it save s a record to your recent activity page, giving you the and I.P address used.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

You can do this at home with 1 modem, 1 switch and 2 routers. Connect modem to phone jack in wall. Connect switch to modem. Connect the 2 routers to ports on the switch. Then when you use either router's Wi-Fi, your device will report that it is using the same public ip address.

5. Lukeoc707

Lukeoc707 Thread Starter

Thanks, but what I don't understand is how this is possible over 2 totally separate locations, miles apart from each other, with different phone numbers (although they are the same isp - daisy communications).

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Phone companies can arrange for you to have wide area network or a dedicated line connecting multiple sites.

7. Lukeoc707

Lukeoc707 Thread Starter

Thanks again. Would it be possible to have a static IP across multiple sites? So I have 2 bars, 10 miles apart, but they use the same public static up address?

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Sure you can.

9. Lukeoc707

Lukeoc707 Thread Starter

Okay thanks. One more thing, is there any way I can tell if an IP address is static or dynamic?

It is not my home ip so I can’t ask the isp, and I don’t have access to the router. I can however connect to the network in question on my windows laptop.

The network is that of a bar, when I connect it asks me to log into an “enterprise portal”.

Is there any way I can determine wether it’s a static or fixed IP? I have found up lookup websites that claim to have this info are unreliable

Thanks so much!

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

There is no way to tell.

Why are you doing recognizance ?

11. Lukeoc707

Lukeoc707 Thread Starter

Because I am very concerned about an attempted log in on one of my private accounts.

If there was a network with routers in different locations, and they are all connected to the internet through the central proxy server, would the Public IP or the central server be static or dynamic? Or either?

Thanks in advance

12. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

From what I gather, you are using Internet service from a business provided to you gratis. You are using this service free of charge.

If you have concerns about privacy, then don't use a publicly available hot spot.

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

Ah. You are trying to secure your account, and debug the hack. What type of account are we talking about? Is it an email account or is it a Windows PC/Domain-Server account?

For your purposes, it doesn't really matter whether the bar has a static account or not. Usually, a company only uses a static ip for publicly reachable things, like a web site. Because a static ip cost a little bit more than a dynamic ip one.

The attacker can reach your email or Windows account in many ways, it doesn't mean it is more secure if it is dynamic. What type of account are we talking about - email or Windows ?

14. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

He's not logging into an domain account. The login screen he's seeing is a captive portal many businesses use for their guest wireless networks.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And that captive portal may be run by a third party company or routed through a centralized controller at yet another location. They may or may not have a static IP address at any location, our guest portals for public access are on dynamic IP's at many locations and on static IP's at others.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice