1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Same old black screen crash is back...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceponatia, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceponatia

ceponatia Thread Starter

So obviously I didn't really solve the problem because the reasons I thought it was happening before are not occurring this time at all.

Here is the original thread with the "solution": http://forums.techguy.org/games/890623-solved-games-cause-monitor-go.html

So now I actually have a fresh install of Windows XP. Speedfan says my temps are all around 57C and after a reboot, Supreme Commander crashes my PC around 45 seconds into a map. Screen goes black, fans spin up, sound glitches out, etc. Upon rebooting immediately the temp is still 57C. If my processor or GPU were overheating so much that my PC crashed I'd think the temp would stay higher longer. I've had my GPU up to 75C and still was able to play games fine and I don't see my PC going from over 75C to 57C from the time it takes me to power off my PC to Windows loading Speedfan.

So here are some new theories...

RAM - I ran DXDiag and it said I have 2048 MB of RAM but after a clean reboot my page file was in use immediately. Maybe I don't know what a page file really is but I thought it took over AFTER the RAM ran out. If this is true does it mean my RAM is bad since the page file is being used as soon as Windows starts? That would explain crashes pretty well.

PSU - It's an older PSU (2 years) so I guess I could see it going bad but aside from gaming I experience no problems whatsoever. I don't really have the money to just go and buy another PSU to see if that was the issue.

Heat - Even though it sounds ludicrous a part of me is open to the idea of my PC overheating. If any experts out there think that this could still be happening despite what I said above, please say so. I will gladly upload pics of my case so that you can recommend ways to cool it down.

Drivers - In the post that I linked to above, Smiles n' Grins suggested downloading older drivers for my card because the newer ones are defective. I tried doing this again (since it seemed to have worked for a little bit the last time but now I have a fresh XP install) but all of the drivers from his link are for "Quadro", whatever that is, and I can't install them. I'm not sure how I got it to work last time.

Thanks in advance, you guys have been a lot of help so far with most of my problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896385

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice